"dry snorkel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine stays dry year after year, as it never leaves its misl. dive gear bag. :)

I have the Oceanic Ultra Dry and did notice in chop that it tended to close when you wanted some air. Took some getting used to but when you have to dive down under to get a closer look at something there is not a drop of water in the tube. I never got used to plugging the mouth piece when snorkling and hate getting a mouthful of water by surprise. I accept its faults for its benefits, it is a bit pricey though.

You do realize, that if you learn how to use a straight j shaped snorkel, like a freediver would use ( with no purges or valves of any kind), that it is easy to breath in virtually any size waves you could ever find scuba divers in...certainly 6 to 8 would be no issue...and 2 to 3 foot chop is equally simple.

Rather than wasting money on techno-crap, just find an instructor who really knows freediving technique, and have him/her teach you how to use a snorkel. This includes how to orient it :)

Regards,
Dan

Agreed Dan. I just shared a similar opinion in the Underwater Hunting forum. While I was talking specifically about hunting around/under rocks (freediving), I think anyone who uses a snorkel with any relative frequency will agree.

"A stiff J snorkel will not buckle under rocks or fold on ascent.

FYI, I use an Omer Zooom snorkel. Standard J snorkel, curves around head for lower profile around structure (reef and/or rocks), the tube is stiff so it will not buckle.

BTW, I can clear this snorkel easier and 3X faster than any purge snorkel.
It is easier (i.e. work of breathing cycle) and faster because there are no dead spots (i.e. purge reservoir, ribs, baffles) though the barrel of the tube."

I will add here that it folds easily to put in a BC.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom