Dry hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of the divers in "Diving into the Unknown" are using wet hoods for instance.
I was thinking earlier that you might see if you can contact someone on that team for some advice. For something like this, someone might be willing to share the benefit of their experience.

For sure it's a serious undertaking you're looking at- if your existing suit poses an obstacle to a safety measure, you might look at it as a good excuse to bump up your gear collection.

I was thinking earlier that you might see if you can contact someone on that team for some advice. For something like this, someone might be willing to share the benefit of their experience.

For sure it's a serious undertaking you're looking at- if your existing suit poses an obstacle to a safety measure, you might look at it as a good excuse to bump up your gear collection.
Well I can't exactly order a custom suit from Finland to get the hood they are using (nice as it might be for serious arctic dives). I have a DUI CF200 right now which is leak free, standard silicon zip type neck seal with the option to zip on a latex dry hood. Sitec rings with dry gloves.

I do know some Scandinavians whom I have asked as well. SB was just a worldwide venue for input on options.

None of the divers in "Diving into the Unknown" are using wet hoods for instance. My project is a lot closer to those dives than not, so I am trying to up my exposure protection to arctic cave levels.

I was hoping to match what others are actually using in 3-4C caves for really extended dives.

Well I can't exactly order a custom suit from Finland to get the hood they are using (nice as it might be for serious arctic dives).

I'm not sure how feasible it is to install one of those on my existing suit.

SB was just a worldwide venue for input on options.

Sure you can get one if you want. This is a global venue after all :) Some of the divers in "Diving into the Unknown" may occasionally use wet hoods too in cold conditions, but the Loitokari dryhood is the standard around here so all dryhoods you see in that film are those. I am not yet up to that level in my diving but my cave and rebreather instructors are both featured in the film.
Loitokari makes full suits with their dryhood (full suit is latex, quite ugly but very functional, dry and warm, I can seriously recommend one) and they sell hoods separately that can be attached to other drysuits. Other usually means Ursuit or DiveRite 905, both are made in Finland by different companies. I am sure any shop that is capable of doing major drysuit repairs or alterations could install one to your suit. DRIS for example as Ursuit service center should be capable of doing it (lots of dryhoods are installed to Ursuits at the factory).
Seriously, if you want the hood others are actually using for extended arctic cave dives, just PM me and I will help you. As a fellow scubaboarder, I have no affiliations with any of the manufacturers or anything.

Seriously, if you want the hood others are actually using for extended arctic cave dives, just PM me and I will help you. As a fellow scubaboarder, I have no affiliations with any of the manufacturers or anything.
I'm going to get my head measurements and to order one of their hoods. I'm not sure if I will install it on my existing suit or a new one. I've been looking at the Ursuits already so this might be a good opportunity to make a "cold project" drysuit. Thanks for the offer to facilitate!

I'm going to get my head measurements and to order one of their hoods. I'm not sure if I will install it on my existing suit or a new one. I've been looking at the Ursuits already so this might be a good opportunity to make a "cold project" drysuit. Thanks for the offer to facilitate!

If you decide to get a new Ursuit, you can ask Loitokari to make the hood and send it to Ursuit and they will install it when they make your suit. That is how it goes and everybody involved know what they are doing. Measurements for the hood are quite simple. When you get your hood, you may have to trim the face seal.

Taking measures for Loitokari dry hood and suit:
Underwater:

Well I can't exactly order a custom suit from Finland to get the hood they are using (nice as it might be for serious arctic dives). I have a DUI CF200 right now which is leak free, standard silicon zip type neck seal with the option to zip on a latex dry hood. Sitec rings with dry gloves.

I do know some Scandinavians whom I have asked as well. SB was just a worldwide venue for input on options.
Why you can't? Just measure, better make someone else measure and send the measures to them and they make the suit. I would suggest that make suit with minimum (+ cm) so that suit is snug fit. Also take options big side pockets and small crotch protection. Shoes size take smaller if inbetween (we use european numbering (ex. 44)) tight or semitight boots are better. Order peevalve from Agir https://agir.se/product/comfort-valve/ (and get it send to loitokari and they can install it there). Also suggest you buy https://agir.se/product/comfort-valve-quick-disconnector/ or similar.

That suit will last 10-20 years. Oh and take backzipper one.

Why you can't? Just measure, better make someone else measure and send the measures to them and they make the suit. I would suggest that make suit with minimum (+ cm) so that suit is snug fit. Also take options big side pockets and small crotch protection. Shoes size take smaller if inbetween (we use european numbering (ex. 44)) tight or semitight boots are better. Order peevalve from Agir https://agir.se/product/comfort-valve/ (and get it send to loitokari and they can install it there). Also suggest you buy https://agir.se/product/comfort-valve-quick-disconnector/ or similar.

That suit will last 10-20 years. Oh and take backzipper one.
No suit lasts 20 years.

And I have seen their rubber suits, no thank you.

Back
Top Bottom