Dry hood questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I decided to have my dry suit switched over to a dry hood. I've been having a few problems with water in my ear, and this will take care of it. I decided to go with a Latex hood, simply because in the warmer weather I normally don't wear a hood, and the latex hood won't cause me to over heat.

The question is what to do about the cold weather. I've heard that you can get a liner to wear under the hood, but I'm not really sure where to look. I suppose you could also wear a standard hood over it, but that doesn't sound like much fun to get on and off.

Any suggestions?

I could use Pro Plugs in case anyone is thinking that way, they work, but I usually remember them just after I start my descent. I'll probably do that for warm water diving where a dry suit would be out of place.

I use a Viking open cell hood under my latex dry hood. It's warm,
light and allows air free access to your ears - to allow equalization.
I occasionally get a drop of water in round edge of face opening
but never to ears. Bob3 would probably be able to tell you how to
get one in USA. I'm over in UK.

I use the same. They work nice. You won't want to dive the latex hood without something between your ears and the hood, and the Viking 'hat' is perfect.

-Ben

Does a dry hood mean no neck seal?

airsix,

Can you elaborate on using the latex hood without something over your ears? I can make a few guesses, but I'd like a little more detail if you don't mind.

spectrum:
Does a dry hood mean no neck seal?

No - My suit has a normal latex neck seal but it just acts as a back up.
Water does not reach it with the dry hood in place. However if the hood
were to fail the neck seal would save your body from getting wet.

RPanick:
airsix,

Can you elaborate on using the latex hood without something over your ears? I can make a few guesses, but I'd like a little more detail if you don't mind.

Sure. You should wear a breathable layer over your ears (like a ski cap or the Viking brand cap). Besides keeping you warm it will reduce ear problems. If the latex hood covers the ears directly it can form a seal against your ear and you can get an external ear squeeze.

-Ben M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom