Question Dry Gloves Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you can do is purchase a latex glove and pull them over the wrist rings on the suit....it helps to use an o-ring on top of the glove to help keep it in place and prevent it from leaking.

There is even a ring system made by Si-Tech and one made by Viking that is designed to be used this way.

The drawbacks are that one typically needs help to get the gloves on and one is fairly limited to the type of glove that will work this way (latex). The benefit is the low profile and lower initial cost to dive with dry hands.

-Z
This allows you to get them on without assistance. These were made from an ABS coupler and are not the 3D printed ones I also gave her.

The sitec QCS ring which is integral to the OP's D7X suit is not stiff enough to pull latex gloves over the top of them.

The PU ring glued into the cuff of the suit may not be stiff enough on its own, but with the oval ring that is used to retain the wrist seal in the system in place (and it conveniently comes with the wrist cuff system), it adds rigidity that is more than capable of supporting latex gloves and an o-ring pulled over the top of the rings.

-Z

The QCS system which is part of the OP's suit is sitec's version of a zip seal. Except the latex/silicon seal is held in place by an oval plastic ring. The base of the latex/silicon wrist seal has a built in oring like rib on it. So you have to use that to get any rigid ring to seal onto the suit.

o-ring like rib at the base of si-tech's seals has nothing to do with making the "sealing" the system/making it waterproof. The rib is there purely as a convenience to make mounting the seals easier. Just about any latex or silicone seal will work with Si-Tech's ring systems, its just a question of how much futzing around is necessary to keep the seal in place as the rings are push together sandwiching the seal...the rib just makes life easy.

-Z

This allows you to get them on without assistance. These were made from an ABS coupler and are not the 3D printed ones I also gave her.
That is a neat idea.

My preference is the Showa 720 nitrile glove. I am still using my very first pair that Showa sent me a few years ago. Unfortunately the nitrile and PVC type gloves do not lend themselves to using as a "pullover" solution. They do, however, work well with the Ultima DGS, Rolock 90, and other glove ring systems.

Both the Rolock 90 and the Ultima DGS glove rings systems will readily integrate with the si-tech ring system that came as OEM installed in the OP's drysuit. Both of these systems will work right out of the box and they work very well.

-Z

@stretchthepenn

Another way to interpret the question...

I think he is asking... could he remove the seal from the suit ring system and insert in its place a latex glove...
Ah...that makes sense. Yes, I think that @Nomader could replace the normal wrist seal with a set of unlined latex gloves, but I think it's a bad idea.

The OP would
  • end up with relatively thin, permanent gloves that he couldn't remove without having to repack/readjust the glove onto the ring;
  • lose even the possibility of having an interior wrist seal to back up the thin exterior gloves;
  • need to position the gloves juuuust right or he'd have to pop the rings off and reinstall them, which would (again) require futzing;
  • have to do double-duty for airing out the suit; he'd have to invert the sleeves to dry the glove interiors and revert the sleeves to dry the suit itself.
It's a losing combo: the worst elements of ring systems and ZipSeal drygloves in one inconvenient package.

My preference is the Showa 720 nitrile glove. I am still using my very first pair that Showa sent me a few years ago. Unfortunately the nitrile and PVC type gloves do not lend themselves to using as a "pullover" solution. They do, however, work well with the Ultima DGS, Rolock 90, and other glove ring systems.
Good call! Much love for the Showa 720 and the Ultima system. That glove is super-tough, and I've had zero problems with my Ultima rings.

Installing the Showa 720 onto the Ultima was a bastardly task, but once they're on, the combo works amazingly well.

I think if was you, @Zef, who once recommended using a different set of capture o-rings than the ones that the Ultima comes with. If so, your suggestion was spot-on; the o-rings I bought online made installing thick nitrile gloves a lot easier.

Reactions: Zef
Ah...that makes sense. Yes, I think that @Nomader could replace the normal wrist seal with a set of unlined latex gloves, but I think it's a bad idea.

The OP would end up with relatively thin, permanent gloves that he couldn't remove without having to repack/readjust the glove onto the ring. He'd lose even the possibility of having an interior wrist seal to back up the thin exterior gloves. The rings would need to be positioned juuuust right or he'd have to pop them off and reinstall them, which would (again) require futzing. And airing out the drysuit would require him to both invert the sleeves to dry the glove interiors and revert the sleeves to dry the suit itself.

It's a losing combo: the worst elements of ring systems and ZipSeal drygloves in one inconvenient package.
This is how my DUI suit is currently set up. Basically Zipseal gloves sans wrist dams (although mine are DIY). Agree, it's not my favorite, but it works. I much prefer my Ultima and my Kubi systems that allow you to pop on the gloves after gearing up. But I dove a DUI suit for years with Zipseal gloves.

But if it works, OP could have a dry glove set up for $20 that works just as well as a DUI Zipseal gloves (without the dam) set up.

Maybe I misunderstand OP, but if he did what he proposed then he wouldn’t be able to attach the gloves AFTER donning the drysuit? He would have to get his hands inside like the wrist seals?

If that’s the case maybe OP just misunderstand how dry gloves are worn after donning the drysuit?

Good call! Much love for the Showa 720 and the Ultima system. That glove is super-tough, and I've had zero problems with my Ultima rings.

Installing the Showa 720 onto the Ultima was a bastardly task, but once they're on, the combo works amazingly well.

I use showas 720 on the santi drygloves system. I have never been so dry since I installed them (was 10 dives ago)

I don’t have a 3D printer to print the tool, so I used tape to hold the glove in place during installation :( … but it worked 😂

Back
Top Bottom