Question Dry Gloves Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomader

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi All,

This is likely a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a dry suit (Waterproof D7X) with a replaceable seal system (Orust I believe). I'm looking into dry gloves and I see that manufacturers sell separate ring systems to install over the wrist seal system that already exists on the suit. I'm wondering why you couldn't simply seal the glove into the existing wrist seal system and avoid the additional ring on the cuff. I realize that the additional ring and system provides some redundancy in case of puncture but are there other reasons why this solution is not implement? I've searched but can't seem to find much information on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Hi All,

This is likely a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a dry suit (Waterproof D7X) with a replaceable seal system (Orust I believe). I'm looking into dry gloves and I see that manufacturers sell separate ring systems to install over the wrist seal system that already exists on the suit. I'm wondering why you couldn't simply seal the glove into the existing wrist seal system and avoid the additional ring on the cuff. I realize that the additional ring and system provides some redundancy in case of puncture but are there other reasons why this solution is not implement? I've searched but can't seem to find much information on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Maybe you could but wouldn't that mean that the gloves would stay attached all the time?

Being able to use my hands for most of gearing up is great.

I go the other way and dive with cut seals.. so when I put my arms through theres just a hole and my glove clips on that.

Hi All,

If your drysuit has a replaceable seal system, just buy the glove side ring for this system. You cannot fit a different brand ring system on top of this system for a total of 3 rings - that's not possible.

Hi All,

Sitech makes a product which "can" be used instead of a ring sealing system. They are soemwhat pricey and not super popular. Ring with user replaceable gloves are more versatile when you hole a glove on barnacles etc.

The reality is that using whatever rings are used on the suit in the first place. So in the case of the D7X that's these rings/gloves ANTARES - Dry Gloves Solutions - Products - SI-TECH
which provides for a user replaceable backup seal under the glove attachment. The base of the seal actually serves as an Oring to seal the 2nd suit ring onto the suit side. So you could cut the seals back but you cannot mount dry gloves on that suit ring without seal underneath.

PS you can also use these on that suit VIRGO - Dry Gloves Solutions - Products - SI-TECH

What you can do is purchase a latex glove and pull them over the wrist rings on the suit....it helps to use an o-ring on top of the glove to help keep it in place and prevent it from leaking.

There is even a ring system made by Si-Tech and one made by Viking that is designed to be used this way.

The drawbacks are that one typically needs help to get the gloves on and one is fairly limited to the type of glove that will work this way (latex). The benefit is the low profile and lower initial cost to dive with dry hands.

-Z

Hi All,

If I interpret your question correctly, you're asking two questions -- one about perma-gloves and one about duplicate seals -- but I'm getting the idea that you're unsure about how dryglove systems actually work.

About perma-gloves: They exist. They're called DUI Zipseals. You don't want them (personal opinion), and they're not compatible with your D7X anyway, unless you get them retrofitted.

About duplicate seals: They're a nice backup in case your dryglove gets punctured. If that happens, you'll still get wet because of the required air-communication underneath your wrist seal, but you won't get as wet.

About how dryglove ring systems work: You'd never, ever stack rings.

Shell drysuits (like your D7X) have each sleeve end in a fabric cuff. A removable (this is the key factor) ring fits into the cuff, and that ring traps the wrist seal. A dryglove's base fits into that removable ring and forms a watertight seal.

As noted above, the ring is removable. A diver can't just mix-and-match rings and dryglove systems because they mate up differently. Thus, you need to replace the factory, non-dryglove-compatible ring with a dedicated ring for the dryglove system you choose.

@stretchthepenn

Another way to interpret the question...

I think he is asking... could he remove the seal from the suit ring system and insert in its place a latex glove...

That might work.

@nomander

I use these (basically) with my Kubi system on one of my suits...

I could see replacing a wrist seal in a ring system with these. Might work.

I have another suit on which I use the Ultima system, which would be conducive to your idea.

PS @stretchthepenn I just realized your are NOT a SB supporter... pony up ya cheap bastid!

You can use a Kubi system on a zipseal, although the DUI system isn't really a "ring" system.

What you can do is purchase a latex glove and pull them over the wrist rings on the suit....it helps to use an o-ring on top of the glove to help keep it in place and prevent it from leaking.

There is even a ring system made by Si-Tech and one made by Viking that is designed to be used this way.

The drawbacks are that one typically needs help to get the gloves on and one is fairly limited to the type of glove that will work this way (latex). The benefit is the low profile and lower initial cost to dive with dry hands.

-Z
The sitec QCS ring which is integral to the OP's D7X suit is not stiff enough to pull latex gloves over the top of them.

You can use a Kubi system on a zipseal, although the DUI system isn't really a "ring" system.
The QCS system which is part of the OP's suit is sitec's version of a zip seal. Except the latex/silicon seal is held in place by an oval plastic ring. The base of the latex/silicon wrist seal has a built in oring like rib on it. So you have to use that to get any rigid ring to seal onto the suit.

The sitec QCS ring which is integral to the OP's D7X suit is not stiff enough to pull latex gloves over the top of them.
I’ve pulled over latex gloves on this system, with a vacuum cleaner belt to hold it in place. It works, just that it’s a pain to get on without help and it’s not consistently dry. Now I use ultimas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom