Dry gloves equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before you guys say anything else i DID do a search but couldn't find the answer I wanted so here it goes.

I just got some Nordic Blue dry gloves which I use together with a Poseidon Unisuit (neoprene seals) and they work like a charm together. With wet gloves my arm seals leaked a lot causing major discomfort while this really keeps me dry especially since my suit has double seals so I can have on Neoprene seal against the skin and then sandwich the latex seal of the gloves in between the two seals. My dives so far with the gloves have been rather shallow max 10m so far but even at this depth there is need to equalize the gloves in order for them to become comfy. Now how do I do this? I tried wearing the first neoprene seal against the arm of my undersuit and then sandwiching the glove seal between the suit seals in order to get air moving through and that did of course work as soon as I raised my arm and let the flow up into the glove but as soon as I lowered my arm again the air would migrate back up into the suit and leave my glove awefully compressed?

I've been reading about surgical tubing and socks and this and that here on the board but wouldn't the problem remain the same? I mean if there is an airway what prevents the air from going back up into the suit when the hands aren't the highest point anymore? How do I get the air to stay there so it can compress even further as I descend and can you the avoid from getting balloon hands on ascent?(I mean the air has to get out somehow as well right?

It all just seems a bit confusing :)

Thanks guys!

/C

Methinks you're being way too sensitive about this. If your gloves are equalizing properly, of course they'll feel slightly more compressed when they hang below you. That's a good thing - otherwise, could you imagine the problems if they let air in but not out?

I just stick a piece of caveline in my wrist seal when I'm wearing dry gloves. Don't let a 3' difference in equalization get to you. And besides, the difference is more noticable at shallower depths - when you're at depth, the difference in pressures is far less.

Boogie711:
Methinks you're being way too sensitive about this. If your gloves are equalizing properly, of course they'll feel slightly more compressed when they hang below you. That's a good thing - otherwise, could you imagine the problems if they let air in but not out?

I just stick a piece of caveline in my wrist seal when I'm wearing dry gloves. Don't let a 3' difference in equalization get to you. And besides, the difference is more noticable at shallower depths - when you're at depth, the difference in pressures is far less.

"Methinks"! Hillarious! Boogie, Glad your still...ya know..around. :)

Glitch:
Before you guys say anything else i DID do a search but couldn't find the answer I wanted so here it goes.

I just got some Nordic Blue dry gloves which I use together with a Poseidon Unisuit (neoprene seals) and they work like a charm together. With wet gloves my arm seals leaked a lot causing major discomfort while this really keeps me dry especially since my suit has double seals so I can have on Neoprene seal against the skin and then sandwich the latex seal of the gloves in between the two seals. My dives so far with the gloves have been rather shallow max 10m so far but even at this depth there is need to equalize the gloves in order for them to become comfy. Now how do I do this? I tried wearing the first neoprene seal against the arm of my undersuit and then sandwiching the glove seal between the suit seals in order to get air moving through and that did of course work as soon as I raised my arm and let the flow up into the glove but as soon as I lowered my arm again the air would migrate back up into the suit and leave my glove awefully compressed?

I've been reading about surgical tubing and socks and this and that here on the board but wouldn't the problem remain the same? I mean if there is an airway what prevents the air from going back up into the suit when the hands aren't the highest point anymore? How do I get the air to stay there so it can compress even further as I descend and can you the avoid from getting balloon hands on ascent?(I mean the air has to get out somehow as well right?

It all just seems a bit confusing :)

Thanks guys!

/C

It's not confusing. Just simple logic. If you have the cave line, tubing , swizle stick or whatever under the seal you just lift your arm up to the highest point to ad air and put them down to the lowest point if they balloon and dump it out. Heck, I have DUI Zip gloves with no latex seal at all. You just have to find the sweet spot. Hands out in front of you is best. By the way are you diving your Dry Suit with minimal air in the suit (like you shold)? If you use it as a BC then things get really kooky with the gloves.

I have my seals intact inside the gloves and I used to use tubes... but I kept forgetting them... and then I figured why bother even trying to remember them... so I don't use anything.

I don't do anything to equalize dry gloves either.

My wife on the other hand has tries all sorts of stuff. I don't know which she likes better but I do know I've seen her with inflated gloves that looked like big Mickey Mouse hands. She had a heck of a time getting the air out and couldn't do anything in the meantime. LOL

Uncle Pug:
I have my seals intact inside the gloves and I used to use tubes... but I kept forgetting them... and then I figured why bother even trying to remember them... so I don't use anything.

Uncle Pug, Don't your hands get cold? If I have my hands down or in front of me they eventually get kinda cold so I add a little air from my suit by lifting my arm up to warm 'em a bit. Are you using the yellow gloves or some other trick.

if i'm going deep (90-100 ft), i'll trap a little bubble of air in the gloves when i put them on. otherwise, a little bit of squeeze just gives me better dexterity.

Hmz I'm still not sure wether I get it or not basically you guys are saying that it's supposed to squeeze when the arms are the lowest point of your body and that you then just raise them a bit in order to keep the air in the gloves? So basically I should swim with my arms a bit higher than usually as normally I'd keep my arms folded below my chest and this would make them the lowest point more or less with horizontal trim thus very compressed.

Guess I'll just have to try some more playing around with the gloves and it'll get sorted :monkeydan

BTW yes I am using my wing for bouyance and not the suit, the air in the suit is just to avoid squeeze.

Thanks

/C

Back
Top Bottom