Dry Glove Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a set of Diving Concepts dry glove rings.

I'm worried about the amount of stretch they put on the latex seals which reduce their longeivity.

Where did you learn this gem?

Phil -

I've sent bob3 a message on another board, but I think he's unavailable as I haven't yet received a reply.

Jeff -

My assessment about the latex seals comes from personal observation. With the rings installed, there is a lot of cracking around where the seals contact the rings... much more so than when I didn't have the rings installed. I haven't had a seal tear on me yet, but I figure a seal without cracking is better than one with...

Capt. Dale and Phil, are you referring to the Classic or Bayonet system? I haven't seen any documentation on how the Classic rings install so would appreciate it if you could provide a bit more detail on how they are attached to the suit and if you maintain the inner seal. Do these systems also use the Atlas gloves as a replacement? Thanks!

I was referring to the classic system. The system consists of two rings per wrist. An inner ring made of hard plastic and an outer ring of rubber. The inner ring is pushed toward the cuff from inside the arm and then positioned as far up the cuff (away from the hand opening) as possible. The outer ring is then pushed over the cuff. The cuff seal is still in place and is sandwiched between the two rings. A thick rubber clove is stretched over the ring to seal it to the suit.

I am not familiar with Atlas gloves. The Viking cuffs will work with any thick rubber gloves of appropriate size. The suit wrist seals will still work with wetsuit gloves, but I would not use wet gloves for cold water. I gave up on wetsuits for cold water thirty years ago. Dry is warm and I like warm hands too.

I personally use the diving concept system, while a friend of mine uses the si-tech system. Both systems work well and provide totally dry dives. The diving concept system may add a little more stretch to the seals I agree.

Both systems require a little practice to get the hang of the little tricks to make diving each system dry and easy. The si-tech rings can be a pain to get off the seal if left in place for a long time, but then there is not always a reason to remove them...

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing how to install and remove the gloves on these two systems.

Si-Tech
YouTube - Installing Si-Tech Dry Gloves

Diving Concept
YouTube - Diving Concept Glove Install Using Tool

Mat.

I personally use the diving concept system, while a friend of mine uses the si-tech system. Both systems work well and provide totally dry dives. The diving concept system may add a little more stretch to the seals I agree.

Both systems require a little practice to get the hang of the little tricks to make diving each system dry and easy. The si-tech rings can be a pain to get off the seal if left in place for a long time, but then there is not always a reason to remove them...

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing how to install and remove the gloves on these two systems.

Si-Tech
YouTube - Installing Si-Tech Dry Gloves

Diving Concept
YouTube - Diving Concept Glove Install Using Tool

Mat.

Excellent points.

Just a cautionary note regarding the SI TECH demo: Do NOT use a tool to pry the glove sealing ring loose. It's unnecessary and may even cause damage to the glove or the sealing ring or glove ring.

When removing a "blue smurf" glove from the SI TECH glove ring, all one needs to do is to place one's thumbs where the glove emerges from under the sealing ring and roll/push the glove material toward the fingers. The sealing ring will slide along with it in less than 2 seconds.

Dave C

I own a set of Diving Concepts dry glove rings. However, I'm searching for a substitute since I'm worried about the amount of stretch they put on the latex seals which reduce their longeivity. Are there any dry glove systems that allow you to maintain an inner latex seal while minimizing stress on those seals?

I'm going to have my seals replaced soon, so maybe there's something that can be permanently mounted to the suit? I've heard good things about the Viking systems, but don't know whether they're a good alternative to the DC rings. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Honestly, I think you're worrying about a non-issue. I get 2-3 years out of a set of wrist seals here, on the DC rings, with pretty heavy use of the suit, before the seals start to look cracked and I worry about failure. The DC rings are probably the best of the ring systems on the market for ease of use and reliability.

If you're really concerned about your seals, bond the suit-side rings to the arms of the suit. Get a spare pair of rings (you can just buy half) and put latex seals on them on the outside; alternatively, you can just install seals with the rubber bands on the regular suit-side only rings in a pinch.

Once you've put rings on any latex seal, there's stretching that's going to take place, and they're never going to seal alone as well on your arms if you want wet hands. That's why DC and others recommend removing the suit-side rings when you're done diving. I don't know anyone who does that, though, since they're kind of a PITA to install again.

The other point I'll make is that changing wrist seals is a no-brainer type operation anyone can do him/herself in very little time. Buy a spare set of seals, some seam tape, and some seal cement, and you'll always be ready if the need arises...if you do it in the evening, after a day of diving, your suit will be ready to dive in the morning of the next day. If you tear a seal mid-day, and you're careful, it's almost always possible to salvage the dive with creative use of electrical (vinyl) tape...or just put your dry gloves back on :D

Honestly, I think you're worrying about a non-issue. I get 2-3 years out of a set of wrist seals here, on the DC rings, with pretty heavy use of the suit, before the seals start to look cracked and I worry about failure. The DC rings are probably the best of the ring systems on the market for ease of use and reliability.

Thats pretty much my experience.

I dig the DC ring system a lot. Word of advice that was bestowed to me, every few dives lube the gloves inner o-rings.

I've heard from many that the DUI Zip Seals are a real pain and impossible to take off while wearing the gloves. So the only way to remove them is by wriggling out of your suit and then breaking the seal. I'll stick with the DC rings :)

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom