dry glove sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to order some drygloves for use with the OS rings today in time for my advanced nitrox/deco class on lake superior next friday but I cant decide on a glove type and dont know what size to get.

I have short fingers and the gloves I have now dont have a size printed on them but they have about 1/2" extra at the finger tips. They are the gloves that come with the OS rings.

bare hand measurement is 8.5 inches around and my middle finger measures 3.125 inches long.

What is the difference between the atlas 495 and 660 and 620 (besides color)? Bob 3 has these on his site and the 495's are far more expensive. thats where I planned to buy from anyway.

Dunno about the sizing, but in a pinch you can just put the type of yellow dish washing / cleaning gloves on the rings that are available in normal supermarket cleaning sections. They are cheap, and should last a few dives at least. My first dives with the Si-Tech rings were using those because my Atlas gloves hadn't arrived yet. (that said, I later switched to canner's gloves and have yet to dive with the Atlas 620s - I liked the dexterity of the dish washing gloves too much). FWIW, I use XL dish washing gloves, and the XL Atlas gloves also fit me fine, though they are slighty bigger, or at least thicker in the fingers, etc. (but the dish washing gloves stretch more, so both can accommodate undergloves fine...)

Attachments

• dish_wash_glove.jpg
    dish_wash_glove.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 150
I use Atlas 495 and 660 with my SI TECH dryglove rings. The Atlas 495 came with the rings. Atlas gloves are also branded as Showa. I did quite a bit of experimenting with sizing and different liners.

The sizing and fit of the 495 is different because they're designed to be used with liners. The fingers are fatter and the circumference across the palm is bigger. The middle finger length is a little shorter than the 660. See measurements below.

For reference, some pics from Seattle Marine.

The Atlas 495:
ats495l_general.jpg

The Atlas 660:
ats660_general.jpg

The Atlas 620:
ats620_907_general.jpg

I haven't used the 620, but my guess is they are sized like the 660, although the pic shows somewhat fatter fingers. They reportedly have a thinner coating of pvc to make them more supple.

The 495 and 660 are both "triple-dipped" pvc for greater oil resistance, so they are also more resistant to cuts and punctures, I believe.

Seattle Marine's Atlas glove page:

Seattle Marine - Boating and Fishing Supplies - Seattle Marine

Here's some info including measurements I've just taken:

My hand measures 8" circumference (across the palm at the first knuckle) and 3 and 3/8" middle finger length (from between the middle and ring fingers to the end of the middle finger). My fingers are probably average thickness.

For warmth, I like my glove fit to be loose, so I wear the size Large 495. That will accomodate the yellow liner with plenty of room. I like the fit. I use that glove and liner for water temps from 45 to 70F.

It's roomy enough to accomodate wearing two sets of liners, such as the yellow liner with a lighter white polypropylene liner. I paid $1.12 a pair for them at a fishermen's supply house in Gloucester, MA. Similar to this:

Here are my measurements of my Atlas gloves (circumference and middle finger measured as above):

Model/Size ..... Palm Circ ....... Middle Finger Length (all measurements in inches)

495 L ............... 10 ....................... 3

495 XL ............. 10 3/4 .................. 3 1/2

660 L ................ 9 ........................ 3 1/4

660 XL .............. 9 3/16 ................. 3 5/16

660 XXL ............ 9 1/2 ................... 3 3/8

As far as comparing the fit on my hands, the 495 L will accomodate the standard yellow liner with a fit that's moderately loose around the fingers and palm, allowing easy bending of the fingers when gripping.

With that same yellow liner, the 660 XXL is a close fit around the fingers and palm, and, as a result, doesn't allow my fingers to bend as easily, becoming a little too tight when gripping. That only creates a problem in real cold water (sub-40 temps) when gripping something for long periods of time. For temps above 55F, with the lighter white liner, they are a perfect fit.

For mid-30's or below, I actually use the 495 XL with two sets of liners and they fit nicely, that is, loosely, just the way I like it for the added warmth. :D

Dave C

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom