Dry glove rings - now my arms are too long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dan,

Now I understand what you said........:wink:

Dan Gibson:
Mike,

The material only stretches a tiny bit. Placement of the major seam is also critical when you pull the ring through. You just have to slowly tug the ring through a little bit at a time. You may be experiencing the same thing most people do when they try to install the DC rings in a DUI suit. We all were convinced they would not fit. Then someone showed us how to do it.

Unless DUI made your wrists smaller than anyone I have ever seen, it should go through. My suit is a cave cut (very snug cave cut btw) and I had no problems pulling it through once I found out the proper way to do it. I use large DC gloves and the rings that came with it. I have heard there may be two ring sizes, but I am not sure. Maybe you can talk to the people at DC. Even though your suit is not a DC, you purchased their gloves.

Dan

Scubaroo:
Dived one glove with inner seal, one glove without inner seal. Couldn't really tell the difference! Suit squeeze on the gloves keeps them in place, so the extra arm length wasn't noticeable in the water. Another case of thinking too hard about stuff before trying it out in the water.

So I think I'll revert to using both no inner seals - there's no problem with the ring being pulled off (maybe my suit just has bigger wrist seals being a UK-made suit?) - there's just not enough tension on the ring from the latex seal, with the o-rings in place, to securely hold it. Bit bummed about this as obviously having the inner seals is the safer setup.

I'll be moving to a custom suit some time next year, so I can try that style of connection then.

Now one thing I did notice about the gloves - the neoprene cover would peel back from the wrist of the glove - any ideas? I would have thought that it would stay in place a bit more - the bottom 2" of neoprene just folds back loose.

I can relate to exactly what you are referring to, I have the same gloves. I would suggest two things: get some aquaseal to glue the flapping portion (at the base of the glove). This is not the part keeping you dry as you know but when glued down it protects the actual material underneath keeping you dry. Second, get velcro wrist straps. Cinch these down once you have the gloves on to keep the gloves in place on your hands. This will minimize the excess arm length problem with these gloves and ensure your hands cannot slip out.

I do not have the inner wrist seal. I prefer to have free air flow between suit and gloves without the need to wear a tube to enable squeeze relief.

I have torn a glove (on shore and did not know it) then dove in 33 degree F water with instant flooding. I dive neoprene dry with thermals (polartec fleece) that wic water away of course. The fleece glove inserts that come with the DC gloves do the same. In 33 degree water I was able to dive 15 minutes before my hands were cold and needed to surface.

Bottom line a flooding, even in really cold water, is not as catastrophic as some may think. I could wring the water out of my thermals after the 15 minute dive so I had a good leak.

My tear was actually caused the previous weekend. A lady with long nails was helping me remove the glove and before I had glued down the flaps she accidentally dug into the water tight portion of the glove just forward of the wrist.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom