Dry glove rings - now my arms are too long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived one glove with inner seal, one glove without inner seal. Couldn't really tell the difference! Suit squeeze on the gloves keeps them in place, so the extra arm length wasn't noticeable in the water. Another case of thinking too hard about stuff before trying it out in the water.

So I think I'll revert to using both no inner seals - there's no problem with the ring being pulled off (maybe my suit just has bigger wrist seals being a UK-made suit?) - there's just not enough tension on the ring from the latex seal, with the o-rings in place, to securely hold it. Bit bummed about this as obviously having the inner seals is the safer setup.

I'll be moving to a custom suit some time next year, so I can try that style of connection then.

Now one thing I did notice about the gloves - the neoprene cover would peel back from the wrist of the glove - any ideas? I would have thought that it would stay in place a bit more - the bottom 2" of neoprene just folds back loose.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Actually I don't recall anyone on the board during recent glove discussions who *doesn't* have the internal seal still intact...

It appears to be impossible to install the ring on my DUI CLX-450 with the internal seal. In order to install it with the internal seal, the ring must be pulled back through the sleeve when it is turned right side out. The ring will not fit through the sleeves, as the material is not stretchable.

The good news is that made the decision easy, they’re installed without the seal and I like them that way. I originally got the size large crushed neoprene gloves that are slightly too large using the liners that comes with the system. I’m on the lookout for some slightly thicker gloves to use as liners, for cold-water use. A set of medium gloves just came in and I’m looking forward to trying them this weekend.

Mike

MikeS once bubbled...
It appears to be impossible to install the ring on my DUI CLX-450 with the internal seal. In order to install it with the internal seal, the ring must be pulled back through the sleeve when it is turned right side out. The ring will not fit through the sleeves, as the material is not stretchable.
Mine *just* fit through the wrists when installing with the internal seal - took about 20 minutes just to coax the ring through the wrist. Same issue - the heavy trilam material won't stretch, and it's barely large enough to fit over the ring.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Mine *just* fit through the wrists when installing with the internal seal - took about 20 minutes just to coax the ring through the wrist. Same issue - the heavy trilam material won't stretch, and it's barely large enough to fit over the ring.

After trying, to no avail, to work the ring through with the first o-ring installed (by turning the sleeve right side out), I took it back apart and tried to move the ring through the sleeve with nothing attached and it wouldn’t go, so no way will it go when attached to the seal. I suggest that anyone attempting to install the ring with the seal attempt this to possibly save yourself some aggravation.

I didn’t like the wrist seals anyway! I have scaring from a wrist injury that results in carpal tunnel syndrome like symptoms when aggravated by the seal.

MIke

Scubaroo once bubbled...

Now one thing I did notice about the gloves - the neoprene cover would peel back from the wrist of the glove - any ideas? I would have thought that it would stay in place a bit more - the bottom 2" of neoprene just folds back loose.
What a dive buddy of mine did to solve that problem was take some long thin zip ties and tied down the loose flap up at the ring. It seemed to work good and looks much better. I may try that myself when my gloves come in. I suppose you could use innertube, bungee or something else to do this as well.

GP once bubbled...

What a dive buddy of mine did to solve that problem was take some long thin zip ties and tied down the loose flap up at the ring. It seemed to work good and looks much better. I may try that myself when my gloves come in. I suppose you could use innertube, bungee or something else to do this as well.
...so he used the ziptie kind of like a hose clamp around the ring on the glove? That might work...

Mike,

I'll bet you are installing them to far into the seal next to the suit material. Then it is next to impossible. Been there, done that and had to redo my seals. Make sure there is at least a half inch of latex between the ring and the drysuit before you try to pull it through. It will make it easier to pull the ring through. The other thing to do is make sure you pull through with your thumb holding the seal near the major seam before the rest of the ring. If you don't the the major seem is in the way. The suit will stretch slightly.

I can pretty much assure everyone that my DUI 350TLS Cave Cut is a snugger fit than just about anyone out there. MHK will be able to attest to that this weekend. Yes, I can still reach my valves. One I realized how to install the rings, it was easy after that.

MikeS once bubbled...

The good news is that made the decision easy, they’re installed without the seal and I like them that way. I originally got the size large crushed neoprene gloves that are slightly too large using the liners that comes with the system. I’m on the lookout for some slightly thicker gloves to use as liners, for cold-water use. A set of medium gloves just came in and I’m looking forward to trying them this weekend.

Mike

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
Mike,

I'll bet you are installing them to far into the seal next to the suit material. Then it is next to impossible. Been there, done that and had to redo my seals. Make sure there is at least a half inch of latex between the ring and the drysuit before you try to pull it through. It will make it easier to pull the ring through. The other thing to do is make sure you pull through with your thumb holding the seal near the major seam before the rest of the ring. If you don't the the major seem is in the way. The suit will stretch slightly.

Dan,

Without even attempting an installation, the ring does not fit through the sleeve. With the suit outside out, if I try to pass the ring from the inside to the outside it will not fit through the sleeve, I cannot get it to the seal. Going in the opposite direction, the ring easily passes through the seal but is too large to enter the sleeve proper. I’m not sure of the material difference between a 350 and 450 but my 450 appears to have no stretch whatsoever.

Mike

Mike,

The material only stretches a tiny bit. Placement of the major seam is also critical when you pull the ring through. You just have to slowly tug the ring through a little bit at a time. You may be experiencing the same thing most people do when they try to install the DC rings in a DUI suit. We all were convinced they would not fit. Then someone showed us how to do it.

Unless DUI made your wrists smaller than anyone I have ever seen, it should go through. My suit is a cave cut (very snug cave cut btw) and I had no problems pulling it through once I found out the proper way to do it. I use large DC gloves and the rings that came with it. I have heard there may be two ring sizes, but I am not sure. Maybe you can talk to the people at DC. Even though your suit is not a DC, you purchased their gloves.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom