Question Dry glove colours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit new to dry gloves. The "Showa" gloves are not with zipseal made for DUI sleeve rings. What I saw were no way to attach. Though I recently came across a thread on SB somewhere a way to adapt. Some video showing how, but needing great force to put on. I guess for the effort you just leave them on till looking wornout or leaking obviously. With regard to bolt snaps wearing the fingers of gloves, maybe a modified part for those things. Stainless steel not sure My MIG welder could tackle that. Maybe just Velcro?

9C5184D8-47EE-4FDF-BCC4-7F4FC6DFD2FA.jpeg
Bit new to dry gloves. The "Showa" gloves are not with zipseal made for DUI sleeve rings. What I saw were no way to attach. Though I recently came across a thread on SB somewhere a way to adapt. Some video showing how, but needing great force to put on. I guess for the effort you just leave them on till looking wornout or leaking obviously. With regard to bolt snaps wearing the fingers of gloves, maybe a modified part for those things. Stainless steel not sure My MIG welder could tackle that. Maybe just Velcro?

The gloves typically used as dry gloves are predominantly made from PVC. One of the drawbacks of using this material for diving in cold temps is that it becomes stiff…this causes the diver loses dexterity and the glove becomes easier to become compromised.

The blue SHOWA pvc gloves are triple dipped PVC and the orange are double dipped. This gives the blue PBC a slight margin compared to the orange. SHOWA also makes a black pvc glove(s) but I don’t believe they have any advantage for diving compared to the 720 nitrile glove.

I am a big fan of SHOWA’s glove model # 720. The 720 is a nitrile glove that has better cut resistance, thermal protection, and does not become stiff in cold water compared to PVC gloves.

The only drawback that some folks have found with the 720 is that it fits a bit snugger than what they are used to with PVC gloves so it is best to prefer samples in a few sizes or just go a size larger than what one typically uses with PVC gloves…The nitrile construction is a bit stretchy and relaxes a bit after a couple of uses and becomes more comfortable. I have dived mine in water temp down to 2c without any issues.

If one is not worried about dexterity but instead wants a greater amount of cut/puncture resistance and greater thermal capacity then the SHOWA 3416 is recommended.

-Z
I use 3415 gloves, not as tough as 3416 but black neoprene coated too, very good gloves for general use and not blue.

I use 3415 gloves, not as tough as 3416 but black neoprene coated too, very good gloves for general use and not blue.
What's the difference or why do you use them over the others?

3415 don’t have the cut resistance of the 3416 but are more flexible, I don’t like blue. The 660ESD are also black but way to small for me., I have used the orange which are ok but I prefer the black
13B369F0-589F-49C1-A890-849A63A7C9DA.jpeg

The 3415 has a seamless polyester knit liner with a neoprene outer coating.

The 3416 has an “engineered” fabric liner designed for cut resistance, with a neoprene outer coating.

I dont’t know for sure, but I imagine that the cut resistance/toughness that Seajay was referring to in his post was due to the neoprene and not the liner/base material…as if the neoprene is compromised one would have glove that leaks….Seajay recommended the glove model due its toughness against barnacles and such in a working dive environment…that leads me to believe he was referring to the performance of the outer coating. But that is pure speculation on my part.

-Z

The 3415 has a seamless polyester knit liner with a neoprene outer coating.

The 3416 has an “engineered” fabric liner designed for cut resistance, with a neoprene outer coating.

I dont’t know for sure, but I imagine that the cut resistance/toughness that Seajay was referring to in his post was due to the neoprene and not the liner/base material…as if the neoprene is compromised one would have glove that leaks….Seajay recommended the glove model due its toughness against barnacles and such in a working dive environment…that leads me to believe he was referring to the performance of the outer coating. But that is pure speculation on my part.

-Z
So 3416 for wrecks and lobsters?

I've had 2 720s tear a little so far on wrecks.. superglue fixed np.. but still

So 3416 for wrecks and lobsters?

I've had 2 720s tear a little so far on wrecks.. superglue fixed np.. but still

I am still on my the sample pair of the 720 gloves that SHOWA sent me a few years ago, but I tend to keep my hands off things in the dive environment. I can understand how maneuvering through a wreck would increase the wear and tear on ones gloves.

I have no experience with the 3416 or the 3415, but I would not expect much difference in performance from a diving perspective. You can look Seajay up on his company's website and send him an email or give him a call, he would be able to answer any questions you might have. It is my understanding that he was working with SHOWA by providing them feedback on different products they had and were developing....he owns a marine salvage and repair operation and he and his team go through a lot of gloves in the course of their work.

-Z

I am still on my the sample pair of the 720 gloves that SHOWA sent me a few years ago, but I tend to keep my hands off things in the dive environment. I can understand how maneuvering through a wreck would increase the wear and tear on ones gloves.

I have no experience with the 3416 or the 3415, but I would not expect much difference in performance from a diving perspective. You can look Seajay up on his company's website and send him an email or give him a call, he would be able to answer any questions you might have. It is my understanding that he was working with SHOWA by providing them feedback on different products they had and were developing....he owns a marine salvage and repair operation and he and his team go through a lot of gloves in the course of their work.

-Z
I reached out to him earlier.. thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom