Drowning victim resuscitated- video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For proper chest compressions (if required), would be good to remove the top, along with the video camera and the crowd...

You see, that's why I would be hesitant to do so - even tho on this lady in the video it looks impossible to get pressure correctly on the sternum with the top holding her large breasts in place here.

And it looks like a straight answer is not going to happen here. Screw it. I'll try to find another woman for the job.

Don,

It is normal for male rescuers confronted with a female victim to be unsure about the line between modesty and medical necessity. It shows that you are a considerate guy, but: You do what you need to do in the situation, and worry about modesty later.

Generally, you only need to worry about clothing that might cause injury when you perform CPR through it.... underwires, beads or bangles, whatever, anything hard or sharp that might injure the victim if you push on it, or gets in the way. Breast tissue will move aside. In the video, the clothing did not look to present any impedement. I would have not wasted time trying to move/remove it. It would have been better to move the victim onto harder, level ground, but often this is not an option, and you do the best you can.... and the "clock is ticking", so starting compressions asap trumps a "perfect" setup.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Resuscitation is never easy, even the best of circumstance. I've seen well practiced professionals muck up a code, and it's commendable that lay people even try to help in situations like this.

Remember the best rescuer on any scene is the one that is present and actually doing something.

It looks like the woman regained consciousness and lived.

If that is the case, they saved her life.

If they did nothing she would be dead.

They did the best they could and that is all anyone can ask for.

It looks like the woman regained consciousness and lived.

If that is the case, they saved her life.

If they did nothing she would be dead.

They did the best they could and that is all anyone can ask for.
She might have, but you are right. Do what you can. The video I linked above is one that should be seen by everyone. Here's the link to send to friends http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5huVSebZpM

And embedded...

She might have, but you are right. Do what you can. The video I linked above is one that should be seen by everyone. Here's the link to send to friends YouTube - Continuous Chest Compression CPR - Mayo Clinic Presentation
It's interesting that at the end of the linked video on Chest-compression-only CPR the narrator mentions that this type of CPR is not recommended for children under the age of 8, cases of respiratory failure, or drowning victims. In such cases, "standard" CPR (involving rescue breaths + chest compressions) is the preferred method.

I wanted to point this out explicitly since these exceptions are relevant in a scenario involving a pulseless and/or non-breathing diver.

It's hard when you don't know what to do, or how you're going to react despite training. It never prepares you for the real thing. I had a swimmer drown on my island. We did resus for about an hour despite being pretty much sure that they had no chance (foaming mouth). It's very distressing, and at the end of the day we can only do what we know if there's no one there with professional training to do it.

When I took CPR last year, we were told that rescue breaths were no longer recommended. There were no exceptions for drowning victims.
@carrielsal: Which agency? And what "level" of CPR training was this? I'm just curious.

The efficacy of continuous chest compression CPR (CCC-CPR) vs. CPR with rescue breathing is currently being evaluated. One major issue is that bystanders are more likely to initiate CCC-CPR more quickly since the fear of disease transmission via rescue breathing has been removed.

This article discusses some of the issues involved.

The American Heart Association has published these thoughts on hands-only CPR.

OK, I'll weigh in with comments about large-breasted women since I am one. Bras and bathing tops are intended to be confining, so removing or unhooking it would be a good idea for CPR. To preserve modesty, a man's shirt or some other garment or sheet of thin material could be thrown over the chest without impeding compressions.

The woman who finally turned this victim to her side did the smartest thing, and not just because it let the fluid escape from nose and mouth.

From the large-breasted perspective, there are only three ways to keep large breasts from choking oneself - don't laugh, it's a serious concern. One can raise the upper body slightly up from a fully prone position, in which case gravity will keep the breasts downward of the windpipe area. Another method is to turn on the side, making sure the breast tissue isn't trapped up near the throat. Third, especially if the body MUST remain prone, remove bra and let gravity pull a breast to each side to clearly reveal the breastbone, zyphoid process and ribs.

I'm glad this issue was raised. Trainers don't even like to talk about it so I appreciate the opportunity to tell it like it is. If you watch the video again and notice how the victim's various positions affect where her breasts are, you can really see how they can interfere with breathing. I hope if I ever need CPR that someone will care enough to move mine out of the way of resuscitation efforts, which will also make a real difference in my ability to breathe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom