Drowning victim resuscitated- video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yikes! that is very depressing

So what do you do when the drowning victim is "spitting up that foam? I tried to save a scuba diver who was doing the exact same thing with that white foam comming out but my efforts were not effective.

I haven't taken a CPR course but I am guessing the first thing is to clear the airway, then compressions and blowing air into the person's passage to inflate the lungs... anyone with a Rescue cert care to specify the correct procedure?

A lot of sources says don't waste time trying to check for a pulse. Start CPR immediately, continuing until fully revived, until relieved, or until you give out and can't any longer - and even if revived, very important that the victim still be monitored and transported to ER for professional evaluation to avoid dry drowning or other complications.
So what do you do when the drowning victim is "spitting up that foam? I tried to save a scuba diver who was doing the exact same thing with that white foam comming out but my efforts were not effective.
Yeah, I carry a DAN Rescue Key CPR Mask - $6.90 USD, antiseptic wipes, and gloves sometimes, but not often. Dealing with that foamy mouth without one would discourage mouth-to-mouth breathing. I carry a more substantial mask on dive boats and in my beach bag; I just hope I have it handy at the time if it ever comes into my life, and - that I get it right. Continuous Chest Compression CPR - Mayo Clinic Presentation can be helpful for non-drowning victims over 8 years old, but I don't think for this case.

Another discouragement for me in that video example would be applying compressions correctly to a large breast woman. Wouldn't you really need to get that chest exposed so to push the breasts out of the way and exert pressure on the sternum? The mannequin I trained on was a guy; I can see a challenge.

I think those people deserve credit for trying. They were clearly untrained but did the best they could. That's better than standing around doing nothing.

There have been a number of studies that indicate mouth to mouth (or mask, or a BVM) during CPR is of no real benefit. Given that cardiac output during CPR is only about 25% of its norm, enough air is moved by compressions. I expect eventually the AHA will revise the CPR standards and ventilation will be defered until a secure airway can be placed.

Don, I've done CPR on women of all sizes. Large breasts really do not make it any more difficult.

I think those people deserve credit for trying. They were clearly untrained but did the best they could. That's better than standing around doing nothing.

There have been a number of studies that indicate mouth to mouth (or mask, or a BVM) during CPR is of no real benefit. Given that cardiac output during CPR is only about 25% of its norm, enough air is moved by compressions. I expect eventually the AHA will revise the CPR standards and ventilation will be defered until a secure airway can be placed.

Don, I've done CPR on women of all sizes. Large breasts really do not make it any more difficult.
So in that video, would you have removed the top to gain better position? Looks like you'd need to, and that's the part I'd be hesitant about?

The Continuous Chest Compression CPR video I found says not recommended for drownings. You think it'd work?

WoW! I agree that atleast these people tried to help, but it would clearly appear that they had no training of any kinds, and were relying on the things that they have seen on TV, etc.

The AHA does encourage a "Compression Only" tecnique now, as they say that compressions alone do move adequate air. The bigger push is for the use of AED's. With the immediate application of all compression CPR, and the use of an AED, I have heard of survival statistics of 50% or greater. Keep in mind that CPR, even when performed by Fire Rescue, Etc, has a very low success rate overall. You are buying time when you perform CPR by keeping air and blood moving to the brain and the heart, in hopes that EMS will be onsite soon and get the person to a hospital.

While I do agree that the methods used by these bystanders was not consistent with the best practices, had they done nothing this woman surely would have died. Had someone with training been present, I would like to believe that they would have pushed their way up to the victim and began doing proper CPR. Again, even with a trained professional doing high quality CPR, unless EMS is on the way to get the person to a Hospital, the chances are not great. Drowning victims often require intubation, and most Paramedics are trained to perform this task so getting that call to 911 is equally as important as getting that CPR started and both should be at the top of the list.

If you have a drowning victim, even if you think you can do it yourself, the call to EMS should be made, and I assure you, they will not be upset if they get there and the person ends up being fine. As I said before, it is very common that for longterm survivability and reduction of further harm, that these victims will need to get to a hospital.

Sorry, don't mean to harp on the issue. We take AED/CPR/FR training annually (though good for 2 years) and it is covered over and over throughout the year due to the dangers of our workplace, and the many hours of limited staffing. I am actually looking into the purchase of an AED for my home as well as one to keep in my car, as these devices increase the effectivness of CPR tremendously, are very easy to use, and have come down in price to where they are reasonable.

As always, another $.02

Why would you do that? Since when is motorboating a part of CPR?

I understand bra removal diagrams are now part of the CPR curriculum.

instruction.jpg

Why would you do that? Since when is motorboating a part of CPR?
You see, that's why I would be hesitant to do so - even tho on this lady in the video it looks impossible to get pressure correctly on the sternum with the top holding her large breasts in place here.

And it looks like a straight answer is not going to happen here. Screw it. I'll try to find another woman for the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom