Dropped Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find some minor curse words helps.

I find some minor curse words helps.
Rarely. You really have to go major in this case, especially if you are wearing Jet fins, which plummet like rocks.

I lost a Jetfin when a wave pounded me into the rocks once as I was trying to enter the water. Since I was already wet I made the dive. I used a dolphin kick for a couple minutes until I found that I could make a flutter kick using only one fin. I had no problems the rest of the dive. I exited after a 1/4 mile underwater swim without losing the other fin. My lost fin was found by a fisherman a few weeks later and returned to me.

This has been a point I have always hated with recreational diving.

When I learned to dive in the military you never held your fins or mask in your hands. You would insert your hands into the straps (one per arm) and keep you mask on or around the neck. If you do this when entering or exiting the beach or vessel you can never lose them. If you get washed away you can always just put them back on and get back to a safe spot.

I hate it when they try to get me to give them my fins before I climb back onto the boat. I have argued with them and had to order them away from the ladder so I could safely board the boat.

When you do lose something as others have said just treat it as another dive and stay safe.

But what if I'd been on a boat dive at 100 feet? What happens then?

You're screwed, unless you brought spare fins.

Don't drop your fins.

When I learned to dive in the military you never held your fins or mask in your hands. You would insert your hands into the straps (one per arm)... If you do this when entering or exiting the beach or vessel you can never lose them.

Great idea! So, how do you make sure not to drop your fins when taking them off in the first place (before putting your arms thru the straps, I mean)?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use my hands, plus an appropriate amount of concentration. :wink:

Seriously though... fins and other stuff tends to get dropped when boarding the boat, or being passed up to crew etc. Spending a few moments to remove the fins and get your hands through the straps allows sufficient task-focus to reasonably ensure you won't drop them.

If it's a major problem, you can practice this skill on dry-land in preparation for your dive. Pick up the fin, hold it.... hold it some more.... hold it some more....hold it some more.... then put it down. If you fail to hold it, then simply repeat the routine until it becomes second-nature. Like all things, it comes with practice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom