Dropped Cobalt Computer (1) Won't Turn On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z00ropa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dropped my Cobalt about 3-feet and now it won't power on. =( Had a full 100% charge. Ughhh.. day before a dive, thank goodness for backup equipment.

Is there a protective mode or something that it enters when it has a shock?

The Cobalt really shouldn't be harmed by that sort of a drop, but I could imagine that if it hit just right possibly a battery connector could come off, which would be easy to fix, or a display connector, which would require opening the case. The first thing to check would be the battery connection. I will send you a PM with some instructions. Is this a Cobalt 1 or 2? Is it new or have you had it a while?
If this is a Cobalt 2, have you tried the reset function- holding down the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds or more?

Ron

The Cobalt really shouldn't be harmed by that sort of a drop, but I could imagine that if it hit just right possibly a battery connector could come off, which would be easy to fix, or a display connector, which would require opening the case. The first thing to check would be the battery connection. I will send you a PM with some instructions. Is this a Cobalt 1 or 2? Is it new or have you had it a while?
If this is a Cobalt 2, have you tried the reset function- holding down the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds or more?

Ron
Hi Ron,

It's a Cobalt 1 and yes I have it for three years now. It just got a factory service middle of last year.

Battery still connected, so unfortunately it didn't work.
Is there a way to remove the faceplate and see under the hood so to speak. I don't want to access the guts of the computer just see what is under the buttons.

Did you remove the battery connection- the small PCB on the battery wires- from the pins and then re insert the battery? You do need to reinsert with a smooth motion to get a good reset pulse.

I will send a PM with other suggestions.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom