driving with your tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you certified to drive a divemobile?

The tank in the above link looks like a steel tank, and the bottom blew open. Most likely caused by corrosion on the inside of the tank weakening the bottom of the tank. Aluminum tanks have a bottom that is considerably thicker than the walls. If you follow the links to the pictures, it looks like the original posting of that tank is a graphic illustration on why annual VIPs and 5 yr Hydros are necessary. (My spanish is not that good and I'm too lazy to cut and paste the whole thing into a translator program)

I like the idea of the doomsday device. I think I'll install one and tie it in to the burglar alarm system. That way, I can drop my theft insurance coverage and rely on comprehensive coverage to deal with the vaporization of the whole mess. :)

riguerin:
Most people probably point the valve toward the rear because it's easier to lift, load/unload and control the tanks from this orientation. The valve makes a nice little handle.

Ditto for me....though if I were in an accident the tanks would be all over the place facing several directions like everything else.

--Matt

When I use my car to dive, the trunk gets stuffed. Those tanks are not going to end up simply pointing in all directions, there is no way for that to happen. If they suffer broken valves, they are going in the direction they're pointed at the time.

The only real thing that may stop them is the fact that they can't get a running start. They're already up against the back seat. Of course, it's very possible that a rear impact sufficient to break the valves may shove them forward enough that the combined energy will get them through the seat & up in the passenger compartment with me. So I usally put them sideways or valve to the front, unless they've been dove.

If they only have 500 PSI or less, they don't pose much of a hazard.

Tom Winters:
After watching "Dr. Strangelove", I installed a Doomsday Device in my truck. If someone rearends my truck, my tanks are positioned on a rack that will shear off the valves and fire the tanks into the offending person's windshield.

First off, I'm going to rent Dr. Strangelove, then I am going to need the blueprints for this wonderful "doomsday device"

Back
Top Bottom