Driving from Cairns to Sydney what should I not miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm

How far north of Sydney would I have to drive, to find the first dive boat that goes out to the Yongala? Either day boat or maybe short live aboard?

Thanks....

Driving Melbourne to Sydney first week of May, must make plans!!!!

Yongala.... isnt that north queensland territory???? having a guess..... you would have to drive about 20hrs north from sydney to get there (if its where i think it is)

would be way cheaper to fly there and rent a van to drive down via Nth Straddie & Bryon

May dive... i might have my drysuit by then!!!! :banana:

edit: Big Cat Reality did Morton Bay/Brisbane last time we were on it but very happy with their operation

Diver Rick:
Hmmmmm

How far north of Sydney would I have to drive, to find the first dive boat that goes out to the Yongala? Either day boat or maybe short live aboard?

Thanks....

Driving Melbourne to Sydney first week of May, must make plans!!!!

Try Townsville, 2000 kilometres to the north of Sydney. Don't try to drive all of it in one day :)

That drysuit is going to spoil you Almity - soon you won't want to be make any dives further north than Melbourne. Kiss that coral goodbye.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Sorry, I was wrong.

The closest dive operation to the Yongala is near the small town of Ayr, 72 km south of Townville.

So make that 1928 km north of Sydney.

Please adjust your driving time accordingly.

Cheers,
Rohan.

almitywife:
well, well, well....now that you mention it

im getting a drysuit soon.... and if i go with the tri-lam in thinking aboot it comes with a free 4 night tassie holiday!

whats the water like in august??

What do you need a dry suit for????:confused:

I dive all year round in a 5 mm Semi Dry, water temps here in Bass Strait are between 11 Deg C and about 18 Deb C.

kempster1:
What do you need a dry suit for????:confused:

I dive all year round in a 5 mm Semi Dry, water temps here in Bass Strait are between 11 Deg C and about 18 Deb C.
because im a big o' warm water wuss that usually gets out of sydney water in May and not back in until late october..... and head for the tropics in between :wink:

im really enjoying my diving so need the drysuit to keep going.... the drysuit im looking at comes with a trip 5 night triip to tassie!!! :D

Diver Rick:
I didn't think anyone in the Prairies actually wore sandals, unless they are originally from the west coast?

We take 'em off around 0C (+/- 1C), its just that much more civilized in Ontario.

Ducking and runnng,

Rick
(BC born/raised, Ontario is home - Currently visiting Australia for 4 months)

Ontario, ah yes the place to change planes en route to somewhere fun, I was in Toronto on Wednesday for two hours, a nice airport to visit as long as you can get in the Maple Leaf lounge. I am really glad I read your speeding story Rick thanks! I have a bit of a heavy foot and will make sure and use the cruise. In SK as long as you stay no more than 15k over the limit the RCMP will pretty much leave you alone.

Wow, so many places I need to go and dive I wonder if my boss (or wife) would mind if I stayed for an extra 5 weeks.

Sask:
Wow, so many places I need to go and dive I wonder if my boss (or wife) would mind if I stayed for an extra 5 weeks.

I've got yer back covered, bro.

What kind of excuse were you thinking of? Medical? work? Let me know, tell me what my name will be, and what the "story" is and I'll email her right away!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom