Driving from Cairns to Sydney what should I not miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to lots of input form SB I am booked for a week May 29 on Nimrod Explorer.

Afterwards I am renting a car and taking 5-6 days to travel to Sydney. Any good diving or other must see things I shouldn't miss? I do have about a day to a day and a half of work I have to do in Maroochydore, other than that my time is my own and I will have toured Sydney already.

Any suggestions are welcome please.

Byron Bay - good diving and nice laid back town (during off season that is) with great food.
Fish Rock - great swim through dive with sharks
Hunter Valley vineyards - lots of decent wine to taste
Whitsunday islands - good sailing, few decent reefs.

Personally I find the quality of the diving improves the further south you go. I'd suggest you point your car south and keep driving until you see kelp. :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

as Rohan says above.... but while in cane toad territory (Queensland to the tourists) check out North Stradbroke Island which is about a hours north from Brisbane (need a ferry to get across to the island)

once you cross the border..... Nelson Bay, which is about 2.5hrs drive north of Sydney

note that May is our winter (autum tech but still freakin cold for me!) and yes, our vis improves

almitywife:
as Rohan says above.... but while in cane toad territory (Queensland to the tourists) check out North Stradbroke Island which is about a hours north from Brisbane (need a ferry to get across to the island)

once you cross the border..... Nelson Bay, which is about 2.5hrs drive north of Sydney

note that May is our winter (autum tech but still freakin cold for me!) and yes, our vis improves
Thanks guys for your help, I will get the map out and find the locations. As to your winter, I live on the Canadian prairies we don't stop wearing sandals until it hits -20. At -40 we start thinking about gloves.

well it will be about 15C in sydney i would guess... i dont know, im usually out of the water in May and not back in till October - with a trip to the tropics in between

im getting a drysuit this year so thats about to change :D

And of course there is the Yongala Wreck near Townsville!
... and if you keep driving past our Eastern states mates you might find some of the best freshwater diving, sea dragons and sharks in the world - down SA way!

kempster1:
Do not come diving in Tassie Almitywife :)

well, well, well....now that you mention it

im getting a drysuit soon.... and if i go with the tri-lam in thinking aboot it comes with a free 4 night tassie holiday!

whats the water like in august??

almitywife:
whats the water like in august??

It's roasty-toasty warm* Almity, and mid-winter has the best vis.

How can I forget the star attraction of any road trip to the tropics: the breath-taking vista that is 'The Big Banana'. It's well worth the flight over from the States just for that. Any other giant objects along the roadside?

Cheers,
Rohan.

(*relative to the rain, hail and sleet waiting for you topside).

While in Maroochydore I'd definately check out the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. Trips leave from Mooloolaba which is just down the road.

I second the Yongala recommendation, It's a top dive!

Back
Top Bottom