Driving down to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Y'all!

As planned some 7 months back in wintry Scotland, UK, I'm now at long last on my way to Roatan!!!
I'm currently with a friend in Fort Worth Tx & we are contemplating our journey down to Roatan. We've decided to drive down through Mexico etc and reach Roatan by car if possible. My question is have any of you guys driven to Roatan from the U.S? If so which route would you advise on also I know there is a passenger ferry from La Ceiba but is there a car eqivalent?
We have been warned about the risks of driving through Mexico & Guatemala time again, but I reckon risks aside what a brilliant way to see some of those countries than take a road trip with safety in mind. It's the journey that counts, besides the cost of flying and all the hassle of transfers makes the the choice a little easier.
Thanks for any help and luck permitting I'll be there in 2 weeks!

From what I've read on other posts there's some good deals to be had on Roatan at the moment, so fingers crossed.

Lee

Damn that sounds like a fine adventure to me! Don't listen to any of these negative replies, my God from the sounds of some of it I'm surprised some people ever gather up the courage to cross a street without a crossing guard.

Driving on Roatan is not advised???? I drove all over that island it was nothing, I mean nothing at all to be worried about, not a thing. The worst part I can remember was the slow drivers on the road.

Plan it out, bring a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans with you just in case, stash an emergency cash fund somewhere safely hidden in the car and have a ball!

Check this space on Sept. 29th. :wink:

Damn that sounds like a fine adventure to me! Don't listen to any of these negative replies, my God from the sounds of some of it I'm surprised some people ever gather up the courage to cross a street without a crossing guard.

I don't think courage has anything to do with it and it would be a great adventure , UNTIL you got to the port and found out you could not ship your car over and had to leave it or maybe it makes it to Roatan and you cannot get it out. If you can find out ahead of time from HONDURAN officials without a doubt you can bring it over and get your car then by all means go for it. I drive regularly without problems, I do have secure parking, I ship things three or four times a year, deal with customs agents often and it is not difficult but it can be very time consuming. I have more than a few friends who live on the island that have waited weeks or more to get their car from the port because of some little detail, if they could have just put it on a ferry and drove it until the import paperwork was done I am sure they would have.
It would seem some here have had little or no experience with the Honduran system

The ferry company you are looking for is Island Shipping. Call them on 00504-455-6458 to get a quote on times, prices etc. From my knowledge they leave every day so it should be easy for you to drop the car off, jump on the Galaxy and then have your car on Roatan the next morning
When I brought my car over to Roatan I had no hassles. Fair enough it had a Honduran number plate, but they didn't ask for paperwork or anything. Officials shouldn't give you any hassles with the car at the ferry. Phone them and ask. I think you will have more hassle at the border. If you ship a car from the States then you need a customs broker. To bring a car from La Ceiba, i guess some people have just been unlucky or misinformed if they waited weeks to get it back.
Good luck

The roads in Mexico aren't like the super highways of US (poorly maintained and pot holes, no lights, etc.) and gas stations may not be readily available at convenient points.

Having driven across much of Mexico, I disagree with this. The main highways are perfectly fine for driving, in fact there's less traffic (due to really high tolls in some places) and I've never had a problem. I would second the advice to only drive during the day, and I can't speak for driving in Central America.

I don't think it's going to be as much fun as you think, though. Border hassles with cars can be a real PITA, and (at least for me) there was the constant worry of an accident and the resulting legal nightmare. You could take buses and get a similar road trip experience, meet way more local people, and not have to deal with the car.

Thanks all,
That's a good point about the bus, cheap and much less hassle I imagine. Thanks for getting back to me on the ferry people Roatan Marine Park, I'll check it out and ask them about all the legalities of crossing with all the required paper work etc..Cheers RTBDiver I'll defintely make enquiries and be sure of the situation before driving all that way and finding out the car is going to be stuck on Honduras..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom