Driving a vehicle from San Antonio area to Tulum Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driving a Ram 1500 should be ok.
Will have Alberta plates. Not so good.

Why not? Everyone loves Canadians. I had an old rucksack that I used in my early years of travel to which I stitched a maple leaf badge. Always easier to say I was Canadian than American back then. Now I just don't give a **** .

Ugh, yeah. Sinaloa is probably the one part of Mexico I would stay away from. Even Chiapas and Oaxaca are totally safe these days... Sinaloa, not so much.

The route that comes up in Apple maps is...
San Antonio - Reynosa - Tampico - Veracruz - Coatzacoalcos - Chetumal - Tulum.
Looks like it should be a nice drive. But it is Mexico and I could easily be wrong.
You'd cross the border in state of Tamaulipas and drive the length of Veracruz, both of which have homicide rates about 15 per 100K. Then through Tabasco (20 per 100K) and Campeche (8 per 100K). Quintana Roo has an unbelievably high rate of 32/100K but I know for a fact that is all internal cartel violence, essentially no tourists have been harmed except when literally in the crossfire. The cartels are too smart to kill the golden goose of Cancun. It's a bit out of your way but I would go through Chiapas instead of Tabasco. And I would always, always take a "cuota" or toll road if I had a choice. Much better condition. Some of the roads on the Yucatan peninsula are absolutely first world, others are extremely poor condition, no lane markers, loaded with "topes" (Mexican nuclear speed bumps).

The route that comes up in Apple maps is...
San Antonio - Reynosa - Tampico - Veracruz - Coatzacoalcos - Chetumal - Tulum.
Looks like it should be a nice drive. But it is Mexico and I could easily be wrong.
That is a terrible route, don't use it. Stay off the coast. The best advice you're gonna get is to join the On the Road in Mexico facebook group, tons of great info.

I drove back to Austin 2 weeks ago from Playa, now I'm in Huasteca Potosina, headed back to Playa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom