Driving a vehicle from San Antonio area to Tulum Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegian Cave Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody drive their own vehicle from Canada or USA (San Antonio area) to Cancun or PV?

Did you purchase insurance from a US company before crossing the border or did you purchase it just after crossing the border into Mexico?

Road TRIP!!!!!!

I would probably go with a policy from the US that covers you in Mexico. And then keep enough cash to pay your way out of an accident once you get down there.

Excited for you, brother.

I love the adventurous spirit! I always wanted to make this drive, but never developed the testicular fortitude to pull it off. A couple of years ago there was a couple from Austin that did this in a jeep and a trailer and posted a blog about it. Lots of discussions about routes, border dangers, best place to cross, and hotels with security. I couldn't find that blog but I did find this.

Living In Merida: Driving through Mexico...a 2nd time.

AHAAAAAA!! Found it!
You are being redirected...

Good luck, especially after you cross in Texas.

Jay

Anybody drive their own vehicle from Canada or USA (San Antonio area) to Cancun or PV?

Did you purchase insurance from a US company before crossing the border or did you purchase it just after crossing the border into Mexico?
If you fill it full of “stuff”, you will likely be stopped by a federale on the road and pay an import tax.

Pay the tax, it’s usually less than $100, and negotiable. Unless it’s at a border check station, than it’s less negotiable.

Do not ask for a receipt. You can try the second time to explain how you already paid the tax, but in the end, pay the tax again.

Do not get offended.

I used Sanborn's insurance and drove basically the whole Mexican coast to Oaxaca and then up the Gulf side, but that was 1982. Then again in 1993 down to Cabo on Baja. Slept in the car every night both trips-- just pulled off the road. I think travel is a bit more dangerous nowadays with the cartels....

I used Sanborn's insurance and drove basically the whole Mexican coast to Oaxaca and then up the Gulf side, but that was 1982. Then again in 1993 down to Cabo on Baja. Slept in the car every night both trips-- just pulled off the road. I think travel is a bit more dangerous nowadays with the cartels....

In the mid 70’s, I borrowed my father in law’s motor home to tow a buddy’s race car from Austin, Texas to Monterrey, Mexico.

We researched everything we needed to have. I had a notarized permit from him and we had a complete inventory of everything we had, for not just the race car, but also for our personal belongings inside the motor home.

We bought Sanborn at the border, and they put all our materials into a nicely organized folder which complied with the expectations of the Mexican government.

We cleared both the border and the interior Mexican checkpoints with ease, on the way down and the way back.

When we came back into the United States, we presented our portfolio and were instructed to park the vehicle in a holding area and to sit inside the border facility.

After about an hour, we were instructed to get into the vehicle and depart the holding area immediately.

When we got back into the motor home it looked like a bomb had gone off. Every drawer, cabinet and piece of luggage had been opened and dumped on the floor.

I got out and headed back toward the facility, only to be met halfway by one of the US border agents.

Running his hand up and down the automatic weapon he was holding, he curtly asked me what part of leave immediately I didn’t understand.

Up until the January 6 assault on the Capital, it was the most embarrassed I have ever been as a citizen of the United States.

Road TRIP!!!!!!

I would probably go with a policy from the US that covers you in Mexico. And then keep enough cash to pay your way out of an accident once you get down there.

Excited for you, brother.
And I like your motto at the bottom. "I must not fear... :)

I love the adventurous spirit! I always wanted to make this drive, but never developed the testicular fortitude to pull it off. A couple of years ago there was a couple from Austin that did this in a jeep and a trailer and posted a blog about it. Lots of discussions about routes, border dangers, best place to cross, and hotels with security. I couldn't find that blog but I did find this.

Living In Merida: Driving through Mexico...a 2nd time.

AHAAAAAA!! Found it!
You are being redirected...

Good luck, especially after you cross in Texas.

Jay
Perhaps you could take some holidays and meet me in Texas... My wife will fly down and meet me there. You and I can dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom