Driver & tour guide recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver and tour guide for an around-the-island tour? We are two people and have always stayed in El Centro and dived. This time we would like to do a little bit of exploring outside that comfort zone. I’m thinking maybe San Gervasio, Punta Sur, east side, a drive through Cozumel’s interesting neighbourhoods, a quick stop at the Mercado, etc. We would prefer if the guide was somewhat knowledgeable rather than just a driver pick-up/drop-off service. Any recommendations?

Also, are there recommendations for additional places we should stop? Thanks!

If you rent a car you can go to San Gervasio, and either get a guide for the ruins or do the self-tour. A drive on the east side is always nice. Punta Sur would be a good stop also. Personally, I would skip El Cedral -- the ruins are only about the size of a two car garage, and it is surrounded by tourist-trap vendors with higher prices than in town. Chankanaab Park is worth a visit if you haven't been there.

To me, there's really not that much that you would need a tour guide for, so I would prefer renting a car or jeep. If you don't want to drive, I believe most taxis could serve your purpose (along with possibly hiring a guide at San Gervasio).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver and tour guide for an around-the-island tour? We are two people and have always stayed in El Centro and dived. This time we would like to do a little bit of exploring outside that comfort zone. I’m thinking maybe San Gervasio, Punta Sur, east side, a drive through Cozumel’s interesting neighbourhoods, a quick stop at the Mercado, etc. We would prefer if the guide was somewhat knowledgeable rather than just a driver pick-up/drop-off service. Any recommendations?

Also, are there recommendations for additional places we should stop? Thanks!
Most any taxi driver can accommodate you; they are very familiar with folks wanting the around the island tour. If you are taking taxis to get around and you encounter a driver that you wouldn't mind spending the day with, ask him. We have a driver that we usually use, but we are a large-ish group that fills up his taxi grande. We used to acquire a vehicle and I was the driver, but I got really tired of it; there was a party in the back and I wasn't part of it. Plus, we came to realize that the cost of renting a van was practically the same as hiring a driver and taxi van for the day, so making the switch was a no-brainer.

I'd give the drive through the back warrens of San Miguel a pass; the neighborhoods are just not that interesting. I love the little beach clubs on the east side: Mescalito's, Senor Iguana's, Punta Morena, Chen Rio, Coconuts, El Mirador (not a beach club but some really cool rock formations extending into the sea), and Rasta's. We used to stop at Playa Bonita, but beach erosion is causing it to slowly collapse, so we now pass it by. I've not been to Punta Sur since the park was built, but I hear it's nice. Ditto for San Gervasio; it was not built up the last time I was there.

Have a great trip!

Playa Bonita Restaurant is no more. You can also add the Liquor Box, Cala, and San Martin to the east side club list.

Does anyone know the story of how Punta Chiqueros got its name? I'll tell you if you twist my arm.

Something to do with a pig farm or the chicle shipping perhaps?
IMG_20181225_155921962_HDR.jpg

Nope. Nothing to do with pigs, chicle, or chicleros.

In Spanish, chiquero means “animal pen”. In the 1800s and early 1900s, Punta Chiqueros had a number of turtle pens, where turtles would be held temporarily after being captured. Cozumeleños would travel to the eastern side of the island by foot or horseback (there was no road across the island until the 1960s) and camp out during the turtle egg-laying season. When the turtles came ashore, the people would flip them over on their backs using stout poles as levers and the turtles would be unable to turn back over. In the morning, all the up-turned turtles would be dragged to a pen (also called a chiquero or kraal).

Once that enough were captured and placed in the chiqueros, small boats would be sent around from San Miguel to pick them up. Other boats would arrive in San Miguel to pick up the turtles and take them to Key West, New Orleans, Boston, New York, and other far away cities in England and France.

3.jpg

6 1909.jpg

Above: Live turtles arriving in New York in 1909.

7.jpg

Above: In 1947, Moore and Co. Soups, Inc. of New York were using 5,000 Caribbean turtles annually to make 600,000 quarts of turtle soup. The caption to this picture read: “In a crowded storage room cooks walk on turtles to select one. The turtles are put on their backs, with flippers trussed, to keep them quiet” (LIFE, 1947).

sss.jpg

An 80 kilo loggerhead (Caguama) turtle rendered 18 kilos of meat. I remember eating turtle soup in the 1970s in both the New Orleans and Houston Brennan’s Restaurants. Quite tasty. In Cozumel, turtle was served guisado (fricasseed) in Palmeras, Portal, and other restaurants up until the 1980s, while turtle eggs and turtle meat were on the menu in almost every Cozumel home during the turtle season. To eat the boiled turtle egg, you tore a small hole in the soft, leathery shell and sucked out the contents; the yoke and white don’t “set” like bird eggs. The egg contents had a slightly grainy texture.

From the 1960s to the 1970s, Cozumel sold all sorts of turtle products to visiting tourists. In 1978, the US banned its importation and sales dropped off.

12.jpg

Above: Presidente López Mateos touring Cozumel’s souvenir market with stuffed turtles in 1961.

Mexico finally banned the harvesting turtle eggs and the trade in turtle meat and products in May 1990.

14.jpg

Above: A Mexican poster denouncing the harvesting of turtle eggs.

So the stone walls are pens and not foundations for buildings.?
IMG_20181225_155406481.jpg

No, those stone walls are not part of the pens. The pens no longer exist.

Back
Top Bottom