Drift Diving suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
Its a little tough to get much drifting done in Idaho. Lakes are a little slow and rivers are a little fast. Not to mention the 5' viz and white water.

A few of us would like to come up to the Seattle area for some Drift Diving education and a little fun diving where we can actually see as well.

Any suggestions on who we should talk to and where would be the best drift areas? Our drift experience is pretty limited so that is our main goal. I believe we're all advanced, rescue and/or DM certified.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl ya have a few options, Agate pass is a shallow drift that a few charters will take you to.
I would send you and your group to the san juans the drift diving there you can see alot of life as you go buy, I'm sure the charters will set you up on some really great ones, pending when you come over the tides may have short windows of slack and then you go a drift.

Now here on the south end of whidbey and up the west side is almost always a drift dive, you can hang on to dive kyaks and go till tank is dry and paddle back or small inflatable and motor back.

So you can actually do it almost anywhere, But drift wall diving in the juans is a way, drift through passages is faster way, and cruise along shoreline where the current always moves is a way.

If ya put in at smallpox bay (san juan county park) on west side of sanjuan Island (campground there) you can do a drift at whatever depth you like, and possibly run into a pod of Killer whales, so bring your cameras.

Happy Diving

It really depends on how much of a drift you are looking for, and how big your group is. For drift diving, the best way to do it is from a live boat, and most of the charter boats on the Sound are live boats. They don't tend to put divers into sites with strong current, though, because it requires a little more experienced diver, and complicates retrieval.

However, at least two of the boats I know will go out with four divers, so if your group is larger than that, you may be able to arrange a day specifically for drifting, particularly if you are not requiring a weekend day. I'd contact Bandito Charters, which operates in the South Sound and in the San Juans, and tell them what your goals are and let them work with you.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure we'll have all kinds of questions once we know when and how many of us there will be.

What are current water temps like?

60 at 20' to30' 50 somethen 30' ta 80' mid 40 ta 50 somethen 80' ta 200' 0r so, lower tide exchanges and warm air and sun is a combo of water temp. this is on S.Whidbey.

Goin huntin soon with single 7mm, be hittin 180 or so and never get cold, Yet a buddy photo dude say's daughter got chilled in a 5mm so guess if ya movin or not is the exposer ya wanna wear.

Goin to shoot some lunch now.

Happy Diving

CarlDarl,

I am fond of the Agate Pass dive too. It is totally doable without a charter if you have at least two vehicles. Here's a link to shore diving the site:

Agate Pass

You caould also do short drifts at Titlow. The current gets moving there but there but the pilings give you some protection to work your way back up current and then shoot them again. It is where i took my current course. It isn't as spectacular of a drift (although it is a great dive site!) but it would be a good place to practice your current skills and have a lot of fun.

Titlow

60 at 20' to30' 50 somethen 30' ta 80' mid 40 ta 50 somethen 80' ta 200' 0r so, lower tide exchanges and warm air and sun is a combo of water temp. this is on S.Whidbey.

Goin huntin soon with single 7mm, be hittin 180 or so and never get cold, Yet a buddy photo dude say's daughter got chilled in a 5mm so guess if ya movin or not is the exposer ya wanna wear.

Goin to shoot some lunch now.

Happy Diving

Ahhhh... Warm water divin'. Man, I'm jealous. In a couple weeks we're going up to Payette Lake and Warm Lake. 2 weeks ago they were 38 and 41 degrees. (Rumored... I waasn't there) Here's to hopin' they've warmed up a little. :)

We offer a drift diving course. We use Fox Island bridge. It is a fairly short dive, but the drift is easy to do from shore. PM me if you would like other information.

Have had some good drift diving on Dalco Wall, with Bandito Charter.......
Or you could always just pop on over to Cozumel, some of the best drift divin ever!

Just did the agate pass dive for my AOW yesterday. What a blast! We used my 18ft runabout as a live boat. I would highly recommend this one.

Back
Top Bottom