Dress For Success...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While reading this and after I started my purchase of equipment, I was wondering what size of deco bottle might I need for my size. DFS states an al40/80 and Luxfer for their buoyancy. I know right now I don't NEED a deco bottle, but I figured if I happen up on a good deal, I should go ahead and get it and then set it to the side for now. I'm 6' 6" and 320lbs currently. An al80 lasts me about 25 - 30 minutes (it's increased alot.) and I really doesn't fore see having to do a deco anytime soon that will be longer than that if ever in the next few years. (Maybe I'll look tech, but only be rec. :p)

I purchased a LCD 30# wing and the way I was explained to figure out what wing I needed, an al40/80 will still be under the 30# lift. I will also be purchasing the long pattern SS back plate and the hog harness. I've been buying a few small things like reels, smb, ss clips and other misc stuff. My next purchase after this bank account clean out, will be a new first and second stage setup with the proper length hoses. (Ohh and I might have a good deal going on a brass SPG.) Once I replenish my small bank account, I'll look to purchase my back up lights. I can't nearly afford a canister light, unless of course someone has an old spare they want to get rid of cheap. (and it still works. :p)

Back to the reason for this post, what recommendations do all of you suggest for a deco bottle for my size? (Please don't post that you don't need it right now. (I know that already.) Read above again.)

(Reading over this again, I might have answered my own question, but I'll post anyways. It will depend on how long my deco stops need to be. If an al40 will last 20 minutes and my deco is only 15, I should be good to go with an al40. Right?)

Thanks as always,

Michael

Save your money! I can't say due to my newbieness, but you shouldn't even be thinking about decompression yet. Concentrate on getting used to your basic rig (BP/W, long hose, necklace, SPG) and buoyancy and trim in the water.

Save your money, you'll need doubles and alot of other stuff long before you need a deco bottle.

GetNarc'd:
Save your money! I can't say due to my newbieness, but you shouldn't even be thinking about decompression yet. Concentrate on getting used to your basic rig (BP/W, long hose, necklace, SPG) and buoyancy and trim in the water.

True, I do need to save my money, but if I come across a good deal, why should I pass it up? Besides, if need be (an al80) I'll have a spare for a third dive. :p

Michael

rjack321:
Save your money, you'll need doubles and alot of other stuff long before you need a deco bottle.

Again, true. I already have two Catalina C100's for my double setup. Of course, until I get my doubles rig going, I'll have two 100cf tanks. :)

Back to my question, what size of deco bottle would be best for my size or have I already answered it?

Michael

Double aluminum 100s? :11:

Seriously, man, take the advice from those who have gone before you. Save your money and buy important things like good equipment, dive trips, and training.

You should pass up the "deal" because you need other things first.

you need a 40 for tech one and im not tech 2 yet but you will need a nother 40 for that too so an 80 is way down the line. Save that money tech ones like 2k and all ur gear theres another 6k at least. And take alook here will have all the info youll need to know for the class. http://www.gue.com/Training/Technical/index.html

Fat, according to his profile he has <50 dives. Don't you think it's a bit early to plan for a Tech 1 course?

never to early to get ready for that class and i like to look at what i need. What were going to be doing befor i do it thats just me so i can train and work everthing out

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom