Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fraber

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking about personalise my wetsuit with some decorations and I would like to put some marks and patterns on it seriously.
However I'm not sure about which kind of ink or paint is appropriate for the wetsuit…

The surface of my wetsuit is a thin layer of nylon fabric(and inside is of course the neoprene).

Can anyone recommend suitable paints that won't harm the wetsuit and also water-resistant?
paint marker? Acrylic paint?…or?

I know Scuba Pro makes a "Gear marker" that is supposed to work on wetsuits etc, i cant vouch for it as i have never tried or nor do i know anyone that has.
Cant hurt to give it a try.

Acrylic or any other water / oil based paint is most likely not going to last, you need to bring out the heavy guns (usually industrial), the flex, material and constant motion of the suit is very tricky for paint to stick to.

Permanent marker will work on the nylon layer, it will fade over time but can be touched up.

There really isn’t a great product for the neoprene itself.

Anything that is solid material will be an issue. Remember that a wetsuit stretches and bends. If you put something on a wetsuit, if it isn't as flexible as the material under it you will either stiffen the wetsuit or more then likely start pulling the materials apart.

Fabric paint is probably a good starting point. Get some cheap koozies (the neoprene sleeve you put your favorite beverage in) and experiment with those first. Looking at those I have they are screen printed. I have a couple that have a thick printing on them, that thick printing is cracking and starting to flake off.

I used the Trident U-Mark It paint to put my initials on my booties and the neoprene sleeve on my mask strap; it's held up nicely so far. Downside is it's a bit tricky to control the flow; you tend to get nothing, then a blob. Maybe if you opened it up and used a fine-tip brush instead of squeezing it out. Although it reminds me of puffy paint when I'm applying it, it does dry totally flat and isn't sticky.

Trident U-Mark It Gear Marking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PJTO88?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom