Dr. Bill Needs Buddy for 2,000 Foot Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just teasing... that's 10X my depth limit so I'm not going there. But I'd like to! Had a great experience today out on a vessel whose mission is to rescue stranded submariners on the ocean floor (among other things).

Mayor Bob of SCUBA Luv, Jon Council and I were invited out to the vessel a mile or two off Catalina to view (and film) their operation. Two divers were down working at a depth of about 500 feet. We got to watch them work on a series of TV monitors in the control room. Then we watched as they retrieved each diver.

The divers were in suits that reminded me of Dr. Sylvia Earle's JIM suit two (three?) decades ago. They were lowered on cable tethers to the bottom and practiced working on various fittings, etc., as part of their drills.

On one side was a tether that could take a diver to 1,200 feet. On the other side another which had a depth limit of 2,000 feet.

Now this is a form of "dry suit" diving I could really get into. Imagine the critters one could see at these depths! Of course my housing is only rated to 150 feet, but theirs can go the full range.

NAVY%20DIVER%2002.jpg

NAVY%20DIVER%2001.jpg

The Discovery channel had a show on those suits. Really cool how they work. I want one.

I saw that boat anchored off of Catalina on April 14 and was wondering what it was. Looked like it was up to some serious business. Looks like a great experience to see what they are up to.

Yeah, Ray... but I don't think these qualify as DIR!

Not sure if they are NEWT suits... I was so busy filming I didn't listen to what was being said. I'll have to ask Bob and Jon.

Now is there a diver in the suit while the above picture was taken? If so, it looks like his/her arms must be pretty flexible...lol

Dude ran out of spit. Look at that fogged helmet.

Stroke...

:D

Let me go write my will and then I'll join you on this 2,000 ft. dive there Professor.

Mo2vation:
Dude ran out of spit. Look at that fogged helmet.

Look at the size of that mask... I don't think you can blame the guy.

Back
Top Bottom