DPV Price vs performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you really see a big difference between a blacktip with 12mah batteries vs a genesis or a sea craft? Is those performance worth the price difference?

Yes to the first part, that is up to you for the second part.

I have Blacktip DPV(s) that I use for relatively tame (60 mins trigger time) shore dives in the ocean, not very DPV-dependent. With some time and a bit of money (3rd party firmware, upgraded handle, custom battery pack, lead shot and wheels weights) they’re on par with the cheaper Suex scooters I see around.

If I had the money, I’d love to get a Seacraft/Genesis scooter, but it’s a big step up and my current diving doesn’t really necessitate it. YMMV.

I have 3 dive buddies that I convinced to buy a scooter by loaning them my spares ; they all bought a blacktip shortly thereafter. That was 3 years ago, all 3 of them rapidly outgrew there blacktips and got a genesis or a seacraft.

Dont get me wrong, blacktips are decent for what they are but they are nothing like a big boy / girl scooter.

I have a BT tech with 9ah batteries. I've put x3 45 min dives on a set of batteries and they went from 3 bars to 2 bars at the end of the 3rd dive. Drysuit diving with lots of drag and noticeable current. I'm on the trigger at speed 3-4 most of the time. That setup cost me about $2400 total.

A genesis is what, $8-10k?... for non penetration OW dives I don't really see the need unless you have enough $ to not care.

A genesis is what, $8-10k?... for non penetration OW dives I don't really see the need unless you have enough $ to not care.

We only use ours in OW ocean dives, we’ve killed or had die multiple blacktips. You need the capacity of the bigger scooters for safely towing your buddy back.

We only use ours in OW ocean dives, we’ve killed or had die multiple blacktips. You need the capacity of the bigger scooters for safely towing your buddy back.
I guess I should have specified shore diving here in the PNW. Tandem on a blacktip in heavy current is only slightly better than kicking.

Do you really see a big difference between a blacktip with 12mah batteries vs a genesis or a sea craft? Is those performance worth the price difference?
I did a DPV class with a blacktip. The instructor had a Suex. Performance was night and day (suex winning). BUT the price difference is night and day as well. For me, for the dives I am doing now, the blacktip was the easy cost benefit winner. BUT in the future I can easily see myself doing the kinds of dives that the Genesis would be the easy cost benefit winner. Hopefully, by the time I get there, there will be something even better.

I have a BlackTip with 12s and a Genesis 2.1.

Yes, there is a big difference. And it's not just thrust and runtime. It is also reliability. PTBs kinda suck for reliability. Mostly they work. Until the BT craps out because the PTBs have a voltage imbalance...

Whether ANYTHING is "worth the price difference" is a question only you and your wallet can answer.

The BlackTip is kinda like a DGX 700 light. Or a 3mm shorty wetsuit. Or a base model Toyota Corolla.

The Genesis is like an UWLD 4000 lumen can light with a 160 W-Hr battery. Or a good drysuit. Or a Mercedes AMG.

The former may meet your needs and the latter gives you no major benefit.

But, the former may not meet your needs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom