Downsize my gear please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need some travel advice here as I'll be lugging along 2 sets of gear for myself and gf to Thailand in Sept n need to lighten the load as much as I can.

Before I begin, there are some things I won't do....

1. I won't get another set of regs as I'm going to stick to my Apeks DS4 and XTX100 which I use to technical dives.
2. I won't use anything else but a bp/w cus I'm really comfortable with my aluminum Halcyon.

That leaves pretty much everything else like gauges, hoses, suits etc.

Many thanks,

SangP

I have recently lightened my luggage by a couple of kgs with Cosmolite bags. I have abandoned the SPG that used to back up my AI computer. I dropped the rear D-ring, the crotch strap D-ring, and the right hip D-ring, which I never used. I use shears, no knife. From what I've read here, the jury is still out on Miflex hoses, at least the high-pressure ones, but I am interested. I no longer bring my laptop, which I used to consider an integral part of my camera gear.

My save-a-dive kit has been stripped down too: no longer do I bring allen wrench sets, just the particular wrenches I use. No extra hoses, no duct tape, etc--my general philosophy is that my equipment is well-maintained, in the event of a failure I can probably rent, and I can live with the <1% chance of a trip going sour. And it's all wrapped in a soft fabric bag--no more pelican case.

Thanks vladimir,

Thank goodness I don't carry a laptop, camera gear or pelican cases : )

My heaviest stuff are the regs n fins n thanks for the advice on d the rings.

I might consider these changes, remove unnecessary D rings, delrin cam bands, lighter fins & maybe just maybe an Oxycheq ultra lite travel back plate.

Any more info would be much appreciated.

SangP

APS Mantaray fins are the lightest thing I've seen, they're not as sturdy as Jets, but they're sufficient.

If I was going on a trip to the South Seas and was concerned about weight I'd s**t can everything except my regulator set and prescription mask. I installed a Miflex hose to my primary reg which works out nicely so I'm replacing all my hoses with Miflex. Most of the first stage regulators which I have owned are pretty heavy so I'd try to find one which isn't so heavy, used, new or borrowed. Lighten up on the clothes which you take. You can buy shorts, T-shirts and undies when you get there which is all you'll need most of the time. Same for cosmetics and shaving stuff, especially liquids. Lots cheaper than paying a couple hundred for overweight or additional bags which might be lost in transit. As far as dragging a BCD or backpack wing around ( a piece of gear which I think is useless). I'd rent something when I got there. How about a horse collar and backplate instead? Lots lighter. Use a weight belt instead of an integrated BCD. The same for fins. And wetsuit if you think you'd need one in tropical waters. Try diving with a rash guard only. Get it down to a minimum for stuff you think you'll really need and can't buy or rent. Do you really need a compass on guided dives, a hooded upper, a knife, a snorkel, a bunch of tools, etc.?

You can buy shorts, T-shirts and undies when you get there which is all you'll need most of the time. Same for cosmetics and shaving stuff, especially liquids.
That's what I want to do when I get to Bora Bora--spend a day shopping for t-shirts, underwear, cosmetics, and shaving stuff. :confused:

That's what I want to do when I get to Bora Bora--spend a day shopping for t-shirts, underwear, cosmetics, and shaving stuff. :confused:

might get expensive---compared to back home, no?

I quit carrying any cotton clothes to warm diving destinations. They're bulky and heavy, and the new synthetic stuff is cheap (Target, Walmart) and more comfortable in the humidity. I can pack ALL of my clothes for a 3-week trip into a space about the size and weight of a loaf of good bread.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

So far this is what I think I'll drag along:

Hand Carry
1. 2 Apeks regs n 4 2nd stage
2. Masks
3. Comps are all on my wrist

Checkins
4. 0.5mm wetsuit and a 3mm hooded vest just in case
5. Hoses (considering Milflex too)
6. SPG changed to large Cochrans
7. Long sleeve rash guard
8. 2 tees n 2 shorts will get more if needed
9. Her Atomic and my Apollo fins (seriously considering getting an oms or F1)
10. Halcyon BP/W with some reduced hardware.
11. Booties
12. The usual necessities
13. Adjustable wrench n an allen key

Think this should be fine for 7 days?

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom