Downsize my gear please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same for cosmetics and shaving stuff, especially liquids. Lots cheaper than paying a couple hundred for overweight or additional bags which might be lost in transit.

You make a good point. There has been a paradigm shift is what we need to tolerate in destination prices versus bringing form home.

Oxy Mach V 18 --small and light weight and super tough
Oxy Fabric Ultralight Plate -- several pounds lighter than a traditional aluminum plate
Mares Avanti X3 fins or full foot version--two pounds approx per set lighter than Jets
B&G spg, small size
Frameless mask like Atomic
Rash guard, swimsuit, 3mm neoprene top possibly with hood or beanie.

N

Oxy Mach V 18 --small and light weight and super tough
Oxy Fabric Ultralight Plate -- several pounds lighter than a traditional aluminum plate
Mares Avanti X3 fins or full foot version--two pounds approx per set lighter than Jets
B&G spg, small size
Frameless mask like Atomic
Rash guard, swimsuit, 3mm neoprene top possibly with hood or beanie.

N

Spot-on IMO. I would add Haycyon's trim weight pockets to offset AL80's 4 pound positive bouyancy...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info but I'm not going to replace all my gear just to get it a little lighter. Nemrod you won't save a couple of pounds changing from an alu plate to the oxycheq ultra lite back plate. You might only just save 500g. You're also not going to save much from masks or that getting a 18lbs wing will be more practical than a 30lbs wing.

I have designed a couple of plates myself n managed to get them to about 400g but for all the effort, a lighter pair of fins would do easier n a lot less trouble.

XS Scuba weight pockets are a lot cheaper n more practical than halcyons as they are small enough to be placed on cam bands or virtually anywhere on a hog harness.

I won't compromise on regs even though I can save quite a bit there but I trust my regs with my life to 60m n beyond and if it ain't broke why fix it.

SangP

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info but I'm not going to replace all my gear just to get it a little lighter. Nemrod you won't save a couple of pounds changing from an alu plate to the oxycheq ultra lite back plate. You might only just save 500g. You're also not going to save much from masks or that getting a 18lbs wing will be more practical than a 30lbs wing.

I have designed a couple of plates myself n managed to get them to about 400g but for all the effort, a lighter pair of fins would do easier n a lot less trouble.

XS Scuba weight pockets are a lot cheaper n more practical than halcyons as they are small enough to be placed on cam bands or virtually anywhere on a hog harness.

I won't compromise on regs even though I can save quite a bit there but I trust my regs with my life to 60m n beyond and if it ain't broke why fix it.

SangP

Hi guys,

Need some travel advice here as I'll be lugging along 2 sets of gear for myself and gf to Thailand in Sept n need to lighten the load as much as I can.

Before I begin, there are some things I won't do....

1. I won't get another set of regs as I'm going to stick to my Apeks DS4 and XTX100 which I use to technical dives.
2. I won't use anything else but a bp/w cus I'm really comfortable with my aluminum Halcyon.

That leaves pretty much everything else like gauges, hoses, suits etc.

Many thanks,

SangP

You placed the specification outlined in red in YOUR quote to which I complied suggesting a light weight BP/wing and several other suggestions and did not tell you to get a lighter reg, but a Titan LX is lighter, lol, now that you bring it up.

:confused:

You asked, this is what I have done and the weight savings vs my previous gear is considerable and the fabric Ultrlight plate will indeed save about three pounds vs aluminum, I have both and have weighed it and then going from my Oxy 30 to the Oxy 18 is about another pound or slightly less.

The cumulative effect of any one item is small perhaps but in whole it is considerable, enough so that I can get two complete sets of gear and accessories into one roll around dive bag and remain under the 50 pound limit and previously I had two bags, one for her and one for me, and they both pushed 50 pounds routinely.

Which brings up another issue, dive bags, I removed the "floor" from mine and cut holes in it and that saved 1/2 pound. Maybe shop for a lighter bag if yours is heavy.

We also ditched heavy lights, replacing them with small Intova lights.

Replacing metal hardware with nylon rings and buckles will save about another .5 pounds per rig.

In any case, you asked for light weight solutions, I guess you were not serious, I don't have any anti-gravity spray in a can but I will get right on that right after I perfect my time machine.

N

Last edited:
Nemrod is right, there is no 'wonder weapon', you will have to search out incremental improvements.....and sometimes the cost to benefit ratio is borderline........I'm debating spending $ 500 on a Samsonite Cosmolite suitcase, which will replace a 15 lbs suitcase with one about half that weight, so I'll have 7 - 8 more lbs to play with, but at least that suitcase will last me forever, so it's a one time investment, and I anticipate future fuel prices and financial pressures on airlines will only increase, so it will end up paying for itself.

I'm debating spending $ 500 on a Samsonite Cosmolite suitcase

I can recommend that suitcase:

I have recently lightened my luggage by a couple of kgs with Cosmolite bags.

I recently bought the 27" and the carry-on. They seem to be quality products, although I guess I won't really know until I've dragged it on a dozen more trips. So far so good though, and it sure beats shedding dive gear to meet baggage limits.

You placed the specification outlined in red in YOUR quote to which I complied suggesting a light weight BP/wing and several other suggestions and did not tell you to get a lighter reg, but a Titan LX is lighter, lol, now that you bring it up.

:confused:

You asked, this is what I have done and the weight savings vs my previous gear is considerable and the fabric Ultrlight plate will indeed save about three pounds vs aluminum, I have both and have weighed it and then going from my Oxy 30 to the Oxy 18 is about another pound or slightly less.

The cumulative effect of any one item is small perhaps but in whole it is considerable, enough so that I can get two complete sets of gear and accessories into one roll around dive bag and remain under the 50 pound limit and previously I had two bags, one for her and one for me, and they both pushed 50 pounds routinely.

Which brings up another issue, dive bags, I removed the "floor" from mine and cut holes in it and that saved 1/2 pound. Maybe shop for a lighter bag if yours is heavy.

We also ditched heavy lights, replacing them with small Intova lights.

Replacing metal hardware with nylon rings and buckles will save about another .5 pounds per rig.

In any case, you asked for light weight solutions, I guess you were not serious, I don't have any anti-gravity spray in a can but I will get right on that right after I perfect my time machine.

N

I appreciate the advice really but my dilemma is also not getting more gear that will sit idle after this trip.

Perhaps it's the difference in our training and nature of dives that make our gear choices so different.

For example, I'm going to stay away from nylon buckles, rings etc as I don't see them as practical weight savings vs a safety standpoint.

I also fail to see how the Oxycheq ultralight plate will save 3 lbs when my Halcyon n oms plate weight 770g while the ul plate is 270g when the harness hardware are the same.

Wow $500 for a suitcase! That something that's beyond what I'm willing to pay. My army duffel bag with wheels n field pack usually will do but I've also gotten a Stahlsac mesh back pack, mesh duffel and dry bag just in case.

mawashi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom