Download from Cobra 3 issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larsdennert

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a search and found some old threads but nothing that helped me. Maybe some old salts can scratch their heads.

I am using DM3.1 with a Suunto RS232 cable and a Prolific based USB adapter to download dives off a couple of Cobra (1) computers to a Win10 PC. This works fine. I received a new Cobra 3 in relation to one of the Cobra 1 units going bad and would like to download from the Cobra 3. In the download wizard I change to Cobra 3 and try to download but no go. The Cobra 3 eventually goes into Transfer mode but the software errors out every time.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried DM5 but couldn't get anything going even for the Cobra 1. Do I recall years ago reading that my cable won't work with DM5? Maybe the Cobra 3 isn't compatible with the RS232 version?

Not sure this helps but with my cobra1 I got an rs232 to USB adapter cable since my laptop didn’t have a serial port and that worked. You may want to try that. I use DM3 as I just don’t like the newer version. I recently got a cobra3 but it came with a usb cable so never tested the serial to usb with it. I’m currently traveling but may try it when I get home if there no other replies that work for you.

Forget about DM3.1 or DM5, switch over to Subsurface and export the log dives from your DM3.1 to Subsurface and never look back at any divelog software from Suunto. I use the serial cable with a USB adapter with the Cobra 1 and other legacy Suunto computers with Subsurface and all is OK. DM3.1 and DM5 are pieces of fish manure.

@larsdennert
ScubaBunga is likely correct about the USB to serial adapter. I would guess that the Cobra 3 doesn't like the RS232 serial cable (old technology). I have a couple of those laying around (I used them for attaching console cables to routers and switches) if you don't have one. I might could mail you one not sure how hard they are to find nowadays. Let me know.

I did a search and found some old threads but nothing that helped me. Maybe some old salts can scratch their heads.

I am using DM3.1 with a Suunto RS232 cable and a Prolific based USB adapter to download dives off a couple of Cobra (1) computers to a Win10 PC. This works fine. I received a new Cobra 3 in relation to one of the Cobra 1 units going bad and would like to download from the Cobra 3. In the download wizard I change to Cobra 3 and try to download but no go. The Cobra 3 eventually goes into Transfer mode but the software errors out every time.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried DM5 but couldn't get anything going even for the Cobra 1. Do I recall years ago reading that my cable won't work with DM5? Maybe the Cobra 3 isn't compatible with the RS232 version?

Sometimes a low battery is causing these kind of download issues. It works for the computer, but not for downloading.

ok, my memory was faulty. I just tried to download my cobra 3. Apparently I never had it working with dm3 (serial w/adapter or straight usb didn't work). I had used dm5 and that only worked with the straight usb cable. The serial w/ adapter never triggered the cobra 3 to transfer mode. I had previously looked at subsurface but had gone back to dm3 - but will be looking at it again as dm5 is just a horrible piece of software. So sorry this post provides no solutions, but does verify the issues with the cobra 3 and dm3/rs232 cable.

Somehow I didn't get updates on this thread but from another old thread someone recommended SubSurface as well. Wow what a find! It worked flawlessly with the Cobra 3 (and 1) even using the RS232 cable and USB adapter. I also imported my dives from DM3 to Subsurface and then even proceeded to import a couple hundred dives from over twenty years ago I had sitting in an excel spreadsheet.

The sync to cloud and mobile version of the app is great too.

Thanks so much for the input here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom