Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when you say you don't allow a jar to be hung, you just mean you don't hang one from your personal boat, and the whole arguement about the virtues vs. the downside of doing so is only from that perspective?

i was thinking through this problem and was trying to come up with situations where a hang tank would be a good idea. i think that all the situations i came up with, though, are sufficiently technical that instead of a hang tank you really want a support diver.

no, what I want is to say that a hang tank is not needed, but is a nice extra safety feature that doesn't hurt.

The arguement that it will cause divers to push their plans beyond their own supply since they know it's there seems even dimmer to me when talking about a private boat, and you're really only diving your own plan. Seems like self dicipline is the problem here.

I've been reading along without posting 'cause my views have been represented by others. I do feel the need to respond to this last post, though. I think the whole point those of us that do not hang tanks is that the "nice extra safety feature" should be on your back or side, not on some line you may not be able to get to. I dive with my 50cf pony all the time, yet, the only time I use it is when I test it on my descent. That's my "nice extra safety feature." That way I don't have to concern myself with getting back to some line I may not be able to find in the 3' viz. It's not about self discipline. It's about having your contingency plan with you.

Chaseh... none of the charter boats here hang tanks either (that I've ever heard of anyway).. but yes, I was talking about my own boat(s) and while I don't charter I do take other folks out as guests. I've had folks ask me about hanging a tank and I say, "No."

Do you run your own dive boat, charter or otherwise?

Chaseh:
So when you say you don't allow a jar to be hung, you just mean you don't hang one from your personal boat, and the whole arguement about the virtues vs. the downside of doing so is only from that perspective?

Both Pug and myself have our own personal boats that we dive off of and bring our friends out on. Neither one of us are doing so commercially.

What both of us are saying though is that it is a fallacy to believe that you or any other divers will be any safer with a hang tank. It introduces the element of false security whether or not it's put into the dive plan. Dive-aholic response is on target.

As to the regional thing. I have in fact dove off of two boats in BC that hung tanks. In both instances they were moored on a line to a wreck. On each of the boats where we did drift dives the tanks were not hung. Personally in my dive plan I don't see any difference between a non deco boat dive and a shore dive when it comes to gas planning or emergency contingencies.

Chaseh:
The arguement that it will cause divers to push their plans beyond their own supply since they know it's there seems even dimmer to me when talking about a private boat, and you're really only diving your own plan.
The argument is still valid.

In my case, as a private boat owner, I choose not to take divers who feel they need a hang tank as a nice extra safety feature. That kind of thinking tells me that they are not up to diving where we dive.

Uncle Pug:
BTW... not offended at all... and you have nothing to worry about. :D

Cool! By the way...it has been a real pleasure getting involved in this little discussion. I will be thinking of you all while I am in Key West starting tomorrow (Fri.) for 10 days. (just had to rub it in) These Navy dets. sure are tough on us contractors!!!! I will have to ask some of the dive shops their opinion on this subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom