Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think we're saying that you have to hang a tank, or even that you should hang a tank, but that it's stupid to say it's a negative and dangerous to hang a tank.

Chaseh... do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as a contingency? Do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as part of their emergency gas supply?

Uncle Pug:
Chaseh... do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as a contingency? Do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as part of their emergency gas supply?
Pug,

Do you see the use of a fire extiguisher as a part of making dinner on a gas stove?

:crafty:

(Note the smiley.)

I don't deny anything. I also don't want to orient my dive plans to accomidate the lowest among us. I just want to be prepared in case I come across a knucklehead at depth. Does LP sell waterproff cattleprods?

BigboyDan:
Pug,

Do you see the use of a fire extiguisher as a part of making dinner on a gas stove?

:crafty:

(Note the smiley.)
Depends on who's cooking. :D

As for u/w cattleprods... I eschew cattle boats.

As for defibs... been there/done that... don't carry one on the Whaler though.

Uncle Pug:
... and it isn't impossible... it is simply planning.

There are somethings that truly can't be foreseen but it isn't wise to then conclude that modes of failure cannot be anticiplated and appropriate mitigation planned.

Try to identify the things that could conceivably go wrong. Determine the likelyhood that one (or more) might occur. Plan an appropriate mitigation for those that you can.

Several years ago a recently restored Boeing 307 Stratoliner ditched into Elliot Bay near Salty's resturant on Alki in Seattle. No one was injured but it ruined the restoration of that historic and extremely rare aircraft. Was this unforeseen? Yes. Should it have been anticipated as a possibility and an appropriate amount of fuel have been carried? Yes.

Where the Stratoliner ditched is called Cove One and it is a popular dive training site for OW classes. (Fortunately there were no divers in the water when the plane ditched.) Would this incident be classified as unforeseen from a diver's perspective? Yes. Should it be anticipated as a possibility (it has already happened once remember) and steps taken to mitigate? No... the possibility is there... but it is very very remote even though planes fly overhead all the time.

Pug, I understand where you are coming from. Your points are well taken. But all the planning in the world may not be enough in some cases, no matter how remote the possibility. The pros definately outway the cons in my opinion. Who knows...maybe oneday you WILL have a diver who has that kind of emergency on your boat.
And not to offend you but I think your REASONING for not having one makes you a more dangerous diver. If you think nobody has those kinds of emergencies on your boat then in my book, you are not prepared for them. I think you may have a false sense of security.

QuoVadis:
if you think nobody has those kinds of emergencies on your boat then in my book, you are not prepared for them. I think you may have a false sense of security.
Uncle Pug post #33 (note italics):"part of my planning is not to take folks who have those kinds of emergencies out on my boat in the first place."

Back to my original "those" kinds of emergencies: I am refering to the emergencies that are unforseen simply because there has been no forethought and planning to mitigate potential problems.

Those who throw their hands up into the air and say, "We must hang a tank in case something unforseen happens" are the kind of folks I don't take out on my boat.

Can emergencies happen? Yes, of course. We identify those that are possible within reason and take appropriate steps to mitigate. Carrying all gas needed for the dive includes carrying all gas needed for mitigation of emergencies as well.

While we can carry enough gas for our dive and for contingencies... we cannot protect ourselves from pilots who don't carry enough gas to make it to the next airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom