Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
OK. That is as I surmised.

Dan there are other dive training organizations that teach three man teams and there are other disciplines beyond OW diving where three man teams are actually prefered.

But I can understand that coming from soley a PADI perspective why you thought that three man teams were wrong and agree with you that for those without an understanding of team diving... three is a crowd.

Three-man team situations are taught for recreational divers (in case you find yourself in a three-man team). I only dive recreationally, and not commercially or tek.

simbrooks:
I dont recall it being drummed into me during OW or AOW through PADI about anything but having a buddy in the water, there was nothing about it being one or two buddies directly.

I took OW in 1982 from a PADI instructor that made it his mission to teach that each diver is an integrated part of his buddy's dive plan. It stuck. He was pretty good about pointing out different situations where a dedicated buddy will enhance one's diving experiences - but the most important part, of course, is that your buddy is your BEST redundency. I watch my buddy, like my life depends on him. Logic 101: if you don't have a buddy, you're diving solo...

BigboyDan:
I took OW in 1982 from a PADI instructor that made it his mission to teach that each diver is an integrated part of his buddy's dive plan. It stuck. He was pretty good about pointing out different situations where a dedicated buddy will enhance one's diving experiences - but the most important part, of course, is that your buddy is your BEST redundency. I watch my buddy, like my life depends on him. Logic 101: if you don't have a buddy, you're diving solo...
Back in '82 i was just starting primary/elementary school :wink: I agree with what you are saying though about buddies, but lets not get back into the whole solo thing!!

Uncle Pug:
How have you been taught to work a three man team?

In DM training you learn how to watch and work with others in task drills; assissting a buddy team, especially, when one of them is distressed, and/or either is occupied with some act outside the diveplan.

Working in a true three diver team can be a wonderful experience. It is beyond what most recreational divers are exposed to in their training. Shoot most are not even trained to work as a two diver team.

boomx5:
How many people here who are advocating a "hang tank" actually hang one? Are you just arguing, or do you insist that there is one every time you go diving?

I certainly don't need a tank hung to feel safe. I check my gear and my buddie' gear before every dive. The point I'm making is that the tank poses no threat what so ever, and in some circumstances may provide an added amount of safety. Yes it is possible for someone to extend their stay on the bottom because they think they only have to make it back to the tank instead of the surface. But the problem is not with the tank, it is with the diver. The diver is making a poor decision because he is stupid, reckless, and/or poorly trained. If the tank wasn't there I'm sure he would make a poor choice about something else and get himself in trouble. It comes down to which is best; making the world idiot proof, or just getting rid of the idiots. I like the second choice.

While hanging a tank isn't a necessity, if the opportunity to hang one is there, then I say hang it. Will I need it,probably not, but you never know. In fact, the most likely scenario for the tank to come in handy would be if your reg free-flows. Obviously you try to stop it. If you do, great, if not, not so great. In either case you will be down a bit on air. If it is a significant amount, or if you were at the end of your dive you may not be able to make it to the surface, but more likely you may be forced to blow off your safety stops and/or ascend a bit more quickly than you would like. I would much rather be able to make my way to the line, get to the tank, and do my safety stop then skip them and risk DCS.

OE2X:
I understand where you are coming from. On a certain level it can't hurt? By advocating a hang bottle you are in a way condoning its use.

Yes, and guard rails along a highway condone there use. In fact a can go hours without steering. I just get my car right up agaist the guard rail and ride it for miles.

Kestrell... nice try... you think you can get this thread back on topic that easily?

Well, OK.... I'll play along with you. I agree with your first paragraph second choice... but getting rid of them through education is much nicer.

As for your second paragraph last choice... you haven't thought that one through. If you are having such a freeflow issue that it will be doubtful you can make your safety stop then you shouldn't be putzing around trying to *make your way to the line*. At any rate you shouldn't be extending yourself to the point you don't have enough gas to make a direct ascent sans safety stop unless you are fully prepared... i.e. you are diving with a team and your buddy has enough gas to get both of you to the surface making all stops along the way.

Back
Top Bottom