Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Or not.

Sooo.... tell us about rig diving. And the mothership... is that for the rig diving?

Our "mothership" is a 105' dive vessel almost identical to several sisterships in the Aggressor fleet (built by the same yard). We take three and four day trips out to retired drilling rigs that have turned into artificial reefs - they attract an enormous amount of fishlife, really good diving for what it is.

I'll go ahead and start a decent thread on this subject in an appropriate forum. (I'm still trying to figure out where everything is on this site.)

BigboyDan:
I'll go ahead and start a decent thread on this subject in an appropriate forum. (I'm still trying to figure out where everything is on this site.)
You can find the Swampdivers forum here under Scuba Clubs... though a thread about the mothership and rig diving could also be in the boat diving forum or even in the basic scuba forum as a general interest item.

Trying to interject a serious topic into a thread gone South (or even trying to get it back on topic) is usually an excercise in futility.

This thread went South a long time ago. :D

BigboyDan:
Sorry about the bad edit - we do not hang tank off a drifting zodiac.

It bothers me (I'm a DM and started diving in 1982) that three-man teams are the norm for many DESPITE all the evidence that IF something really bad goes down... well, I mean, what's the point of having a buddy... And yes, I'm half joking with some of my comments, irony and satire just don't work well on some message boards - I'll work n it.
Try adding smilies, my personal one is :wink:, UP and a few others seem to prefer :D and yet other :eyebrow: to signify that the comments arent to be taken completely seriously or that no harm is intended with a corrective post etc. Its hard to show what you mean in a post compared to a real conversation, but you just have to do your best :wink:

BigboyDan:
that three-man teams are the norm for many DESPITE all the evidence that IF something really bad goes down... well, I mean, what's the point of having a buddy...
I have plenty of experience with three and two man teams, but no concrete evidence as to which is better. If a study or such has been done I would like to read it.

OneBrightGator:
I have plenty of experience with three and two man teams, but no concrete evidence as to which is better. If a study or such has been done I would like to read it.

Well, you have a point there. It's just drummed into you that each diver needs a specific buddy. We use a "team" approach where each diver understands that he/she is integrated to his/her buddy as a matter of the dive plan.

And, of course, "Who's watching the DM when he's watching the others." is always an issue for many...

OK. That is as I surmised.

Dan there are other dive training organizations that teach three man teams and there are other disciplines beyond OW diving where three man teams are actually prefered.

But I can understand that coming from soley a PADI perspective why you thought that three man teams were wrong and agree with you that for those without an understanding of team diving... three is a crowd.

I dont recall it being drummed into me during OW or AOW through PADI about anything but having a buddy in the water, there was nothing about it being one or two buddies directly.

Back
Top Bottom