Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QuoVadis:
And not to offend you but I think your REASONING for not having one makes you a more dangerous diver. If you think nobody has those kinds of emergencies on your boat then in my book, you are not prepared for them. I think you may have a false sense of security.

It's the dangerous diver that doesn't carry enough gas with them to get their buddy out of an emergency. Every dive is planned as if an emergency will happen at max depth.

OE2X:
It's the dangerous diver that doesn't carry enough gas with them to get their buddy out of an emergency. Every dive is planned as if an emergency will happen at max depth.

You guys are crazy! If I lose all my gas in some unforseen accident, I am damn sure going to swim my way back to the anchor line and get that hang bottle. :wink: Or maybe you can bring it back to me while I wait for you :06:

Uncle Pug:
Chaseh... do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as a contingency? Do you deny that there are divers who are inclined to view a hanging tank as part of their emergency gas supply?

AH UP, a hanging tank is just that" an emergency gas supply". most the boats around the mid atlantic have a reg at the hang bar with a twenty foot hose that goes to a tank on the boat. this is to prevent divers from not doing safety stops. it is there for emergencies not for fun. That said , I do carry my emergency gas with me. I do this by calc. my sac at depth and then bring 50% more gas than is needed. I do this with ALL the gas , both backgas and deco. you just never can tell when you might be push off a wreck or have an OOA. The number one reason for diver fatality= drowning, that means no gas left for life support

boomx5:
When you guys shore dive, do you have a boat follow you over head with a hang tank?

since it's not practical for shore dives, it shouldn't be used for boat dives?

Chaseh, it is even less practical for boat dives where there is no guaranteed return to the anchor line/upline.

Earlier you mentioned that you wanted to be prepared for knuckleheads at depth. May I say that a hang tank is not the best way to prepare for knuckleheads?
IMO it would be better to:
1) Not dive with knuckleheads in the first place.
2) Carry the extra gas with you in case a knucklehead appears inspite of your not taking one along.

Nova: I don't care what the NE boats or the Florida boats do re: hang bars/hang tanks. I don't even care what the Texas Motherships do. I don't hang a tank and none of the boats that I've been on here (charters included) hang tanks either. Maybe the PNW divers just have their stuff put together better and can take care of contingencies without hanging on a bar and sucking on a hose, eh? :wink:

Chaseh:
since it's not practical for shore dives, it shouldn't be used for boat dives?
So since you don't use it for shore dives, why do you insist to do it on boat dives?

You are at no more, or less risk for an emergency on a shore dive than you are on a boat dive. So your basic gas management plan is the same.

Robert Phillips:
Or maybe you can bring it back to me while I wait for you :06:

Hey no problem. You don't mind if I stop for lunch before bringing you down another tank? :eyebrow:

This whole thread is a reminder for those of us who "get it" to always be aware that there are those who don't.

Back
Top Bottom