Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
I alluded to a situation where a hang tank makes sense earlier.....

It is, rather, a great convenience and a great asset to getting in more bottom time with less hassle and less equipment.
The objection that its presence could somehow tempt us to make unsafe plans or decisions is a red herring.
Rick
Rick staging a deco tank while still carrying all the gas you need with you as in the example you cite is not what this topic or discussion is about.

While I understand what you are saying and agree that it could be useful as you describe... for the sake of this conversation it really is obscuring the very important point I was trying to make.

Rick Murchison:
It is, rather, a great convenience and a great asset to getting in more bottom time with less hassle and less equipment.
The objection that its presence could somehow tempt us to make unsafe plans or decisions is a red herring.
But just in case something happens you are still carrying that 40CF bottle just in case you cant get back to the hang tank, so you are fully independant/redundant as you need to be UW doing those kinds of dives. The kind of people who "require" hang tanks are those who havent got the equipment to solve these problems UW and feel the need for a back up. What you have is a convenience, not really using it as a back up safety measure (which your slung 40 would be considered and you take that with you).

DeepSeaDan:
Hypothetically speaking - think of any situation where a dive team's normal ascent from bottom might be delayed: equipment problems / traumatic injury / physiological ailment / psychological meltdown / entrapment etc., etc. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean you're immune.
Refusing to think and identify the potential failure modes and take appropriate steps to mitigate is unwise.

Just hanging an extra tank over the side *in case the unforeseen* happens demonstrates a lack of careful thought IMO.

Uncle Pug:
Refusing to think and identify the potential failure modes and take appropriate steps to mitigate is unwise.

Just hanging an extra tank over the side *incase the unforeseen* happens demonstrates a lack of careful thought IMO.

Sorry, it's impossible to plan for "unforeseen" emergencies because they are exactly that...

stu_in_fl:
a bottle hanging on the line just in case someone is low on air.

One member of team is very low on air a while before we get back to our line
This was not unforeseen... hence the hanging bottle.

Hanging a bottle is not the appropriate mitigation IMO.

Snowbear:
Please give me an example of an "unforseen" emergency that would best be mitigated by a hang bottle.

As I said, ANY emergency that a hang bottle may be required. Sorry if that is not specific enough but that is the point. We can get into hypothetical situations if you like. But again, to NOT HANG A BOTTLE JUST BECAUSE I DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE THOSE KINDS OF EMERGENCIES ON MY BOAT is well, you get the idea. I think we all do.

Don't hang one...but to do it is not harmful, in my humble opinion.

Snowbear:
Please give me an example of an "unforseen" emergency that would best be mitigated by a hang bottle.

Just a throw out . . .
It's late in the dive, both divers are reaching their turn points (not doing thirds here) and one has a catastrophic hose blow out.

Needless to say, this thread will probably gravitate to all sorts of outlandish combinations and permutations of possible, but not probable, emergency situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom