Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan:
...perhaps."

Thats all I ask.

Nowhere in this dialogue have I suggested / condoned the use of an emergency air supply as something to be "depended upon" as part of a dive plan. The location & rules of use for the emergency supply should be clearly explained & understood by every diver on board. If someone demonstrates the stupidity to use it otherwise - kick em' off the boat - for good.

My reference to omnicience betrays my frustration with those who are so confident in their ability to micro-manage away every conceivability, they forsake a simple, additional option that just might make a difference to someone, someday.

D.S.D.
I understand where you are coming from. On a certain level it can't hurt? By advocating a hang bottle you are in a way condoning its use.
What sort of scenario would you not consider stupid where someone has to use the hang bottle? If a person blows out an o-ring they should not need the hang bottle, because they are diving thirds or rock bottom. They utilize their buddy's back gas. Properly planned and executed, there is no issue. If it's improperly executed then it says something about the failure of skills.

Try to understand where UP and a few others like myself view that this sort of reliance breeds complacency. Now I'm going to open up a whole can of worms when I mention the following and I'm not trying for a thread hijack: A hang bottle is (in my view) is no different (other than Ricks application) than carrying a pony bottle. It creates a false sense of security that will for some, will undermine good dive planning and gas management skills. There is no need for this.

There's nothing wrong with having extra gas on a dive but the problem with a hang tank in open water is that you may need to ascend somplace other than where the hang tank is. When might you ascend someplace else? When you have a problem right? When might you need the hang tank? When you have a problem...So my guess is that the hang tank would always be sitting faithfully ready and where you need it except at all times except for when you need it.

We often leave stage gas in caves and sometimes a bit extraa too...but we'll be comming out the way we went in or we probably won't be comming out at all.

In open water carry your gas. Carrying you're gas isn't usually a problem even inside a wreck. Why leave it on a line that you might not be able to get back to?

QuoVadis:
Someone is giving the pugster a run for his $$$ for most ignorant statement if you are implying that all emergencies are avoidable. If you are not saying that all emergencies are avoidable then you have made my point. Which is it?

Don't read anything into what I write. It's invarialbly a mistake. I did not say all
emergencies are avoidable. I said "Needing the hang tank is avioidable on recreational
profiles." and I stand by that. Staying out of deco, keeping a safe reserve, and knowing
how much gas is in your tank at all times prevents it.

I don't have a recompression chamber, medical team, and medevac chopper on board
either. There's only so much space.

OE2X:
I understand where you are coming from. On a certain level it can't hurt? By advocating a hang bottle you are in a way condoning its use.
What sort of scenario would you not consider stupid where someone has to use the hang bottle? If a person blows out an o-ring they should not need the hang bottle, because they are diving thirds or rock bottom. They utilize their buddy's back gas. Properly planned and executed, there is no issue. If it's improperly executed then it says something about the failure of skills.

Try to understand where UP and a few others like myself view that this sort of reliance breeds complacency. Now I'm going to open up a whole can of worms when I mention the following and I'm not trying for a thread hijack: A hang bottle is (in my view) is no different (other than Ricks application) than carrying a pony bottle. It creates a false sense of security that will for some, will undermine good dive planning and gas management skills. There is no need for this.

..You & your buddy Billy are nearing your turn point when all of a sudden, a moray eel leaps out of his lair & grabs Billy by the crotch! ( it happened in "The Deep" ya know! ). As you & your unarguably very upset partner struggle with the ghastly heathen, you use up gobs of dutifully planned gas supplies. After a titanic struggle, your unfortunate mate breaks free & you both immediately swim for the line, desperately low on dutifully planned gas supplies. As you ascend ( somewhat quicker than normal ) you are relieved to find...EMERGENCY GAS!! Hurrah!! While sharing this precious forethought, you apply direct pressure to the wound, release the EMERGENCY GAS SUPPLY, and ascend safely to the surface, & Billy is off to the plastic surgeon for re-construction.

Hi-Jack away, Padre!

D.S.D.

DeepSeaDan:
..You & your buddy Billy are nearing your turn point when all of a sudden, a moray eel leaps out of his lair & grabs Billy by the crotch! ( it happened in "The Deep" ya know! ). As you & your unarguably very upset partner struggle with the ghastly heathen, you use up gobs of dutifully planned gas supplies. After a titanic struggle, your unfortunate mate breaks free & you both immediately swim for the line, desperately low on dutifully planned gas supplies. As you ascend ( somewhat quicker than normal ) you are relieved to find...EMERGENCY GAS!! Hurrah!! While sharing this precious forethought, you apply direct pressure to the wound, release the EMERGENCY GAS SUPPLY, and ascend safely to the surface, & Billy is off to the plastic surgeon for re-construction.

Hi-Jack away, Padre!

D.S.D.

O.k I'll bite - pardon the pun. :wink: The only reason for my SAC rate to go up would be because I was laughing too hard. I'm not sure I could find the line because my mask would be filled with happy tears.

Chuck Tribolet:
I don't have a recompression chamber, medical team, and medevac chopper on board either. There's only so much space.

Chuck you need a Super Whaler then. :wink:

DeepSeaDan:

Hi-Jack away, Padre!

D.S.D.
AAAAhemmmmmm, cut it off.
And the answer to the question I know you're thinking....depends on WHO my DB is. :)

OEX2:
Apologies to Don.....but I hope this furthers the point. No "made-up scenarios".
http://www.scubaboard.com/t74063-.html

So just who would be legally responsible for the hang bottle? You know that whom ever hangs that bottle is going to be responsible for it functioning perfectly. The widow or widower, would make out like a bandit at THAT jury trial!!

OE2X:
O.k I'll bite - pardon the pun. :wink: The only reason for my SAC rate to go up would be because I was laughing too hard. I'm not sure I could find the line because my mask would be filled with happy tears.

Jeesh oe, I hope Billy doesn't read that!

Gotta go save the city - it's been a slice pilavering with all you's!

D.S.D.

pennypue:
So just who would be legally responsible for the hang bottle? You know that whom ever hangs that bottle is going to be responsible for it functioning perfectly. The widow or widower, would make out like a bandit at THAT jury trial!!

Wow! I hadn't thought about that one. Sorry but that clinches it for me. Dive off my boat and don't expect to see hang tank because of the legal sharks. Guess I won't be loaning out any life support gear either.

A hang bottle would only seem to be useful if you happened to have an OOA emergency at the exact location of the bottle.

If you were significantly below it, or a few hundred feet away, it doesn't seem like it would be especially helpful.

I like to carry my gas with me, since that's where I'm usually breathing. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom