DOWN CURRENTS -Any with true real-life experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I experienced a rather strong out current in Coz. It was a wall dive and we were just riding the usual current along the wall when we went by a small ravine in the wall that had the out current ripping through it. The regular current moved us sideways past the out current rather quickly, and we were able to get back to the wall in no time. If it had been a strong down current, it could have had more dire consequences.

I've had the same experience a couple of years ago, quite possibly on Santa Rosa.

Pre-dive, the DM warned us about the possibility, and specifically said that we should look out for areas at the edge of the top of the wall where sand was being swept out/down. I saw a couple of spots like that, very much like a 5' wide hourglass -- a sandy depression that became a steep funnel, with sand visibly flowing downward from the current.

Knowing what to look for helped people stay away from the edge of the wall, and there were no issues.

Recalling this question being asked once, I did a search for old threads on down currents, and it turned up quite a few. In addition to the replies we're seeing here, we might take a look through old threads. Just a few examples:

A very popular down-current - The Washing Machine in the Bahamas. Took a ride in the spin cycle off Aqua Cat this past November. There are numerous YouTube videos. There is "only" about a 30 foot depth change due to the current, but it is a rapid depth change - both down and up.

in Deception Pass in Washington state. But that's certainly not a basic dive. There's supposedly an "underwate waterfall" in the Tacoma Narrows, but I haven't hit it the few times I've drifted through there.

Currents that are not moving horizontally are caused by the water moving over or around a topographical feature in the water. If the current hits a wall it needs to go around, up and over, or down. Do not try to swim against it but swim out of it. In other words, swim away from the topography that's causing the down current. Down currents are a feature in places like Cape Kri in Raja Ampat, the Maldives, and many places in Indonesian islands.

Currents that are not moving horizontally are caused by the water moving over or around a topographical feature in the water. If the current hits a wall it needs to go around, up and over, or down. Do not try to swim against it but swim out of it. In other words, swim away from the topography that's causing the down current. Down currents area feature in places like Cape Kri in Raja Ampat, the Maldives, and many places in Indonesian islands.
There are also vertical currents caused by internal waves, which can be at quite some distance from a topographic feature so not obviously associated with it, even though the topography may have generated the internal wave.

Relevant to the "grab the wall and wait" approach, approximately how long do these down currents usually last? I was not sure if they are a 5 minute thing or can last longer than a typical dive?

I was drift diving "Superman's Flight" by the Petit Peton in St. Lucia two weeks ago. We returned to the dive boat about 30m from a patch of calm, circular water on the surface. The boat captain told me that was a downdraft. We were out of the water before getting stuck in it, but from the strength of the current during the dive, I imagine it would be a very bad time.

Relevant to the "grab the wall and wait" approach, approximately how long do these down currents usually last? I was not sure if they are a 5 minute thing or can last longer than a typical dive?

I’m thinking way longer than your PSI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom