Dove the Wall - saw the shark - where do I go from here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll be in Maui 18th, 19th and 20th of June...Would love to do the Molokini Backwall but Lahaina Divers only does that on Wednesdays...any other dive shop suggestions for the days we'll be there? Thanks for any suggestions!!

I will go with Lahaina Divers the most often now because we bought our place in Lahaina and I like to support the local business. They also will take snorkelers on their boats and my wife does not dive (but she's a mean snorkeler). She tends to hover over the divers and be my personal angel when I look up. The captain likes it because he has an easier time seeing her than finding the divers bubbles and it lets him know where to look.

Having said that, I will usually only dive the northern sites when I'm using LD. For the southern sites including Molokini, I will use Mike Severns almost exclusively. It's a quicker drive to Kehei than a boat ride from Lahaina. I have tried the backwall with 3 different companies now and found that Severns is the most consistent with judging the currents and plunking us in where the dive is most effortless = best air use = longest dive time. Mix that in with Edgar and the on-demand whale show and Mike Severns has a loyal customer.

One note is that they never "guarantee" the backwall depending on winds and currents. They always make up their minds as to sites on the trip out. Experience has shown me to not have an opinion. Whenever they ask where I'd like to go, I say "you decide". I've never had a bad dive with them.

Have a great trip in June and let me know what you saw. I'm jealous that I will not get back there again until Feb.

Awesome dive report, man. We'll wait fo rmore. I like the name. We named our whaleshark Steve. He never writes though. Hope Edgar treats you better.

I did go back for a week in April (only to paint the condo). It's surprising really how the local laws on Maui only allow painting in the afternoons. If only there were something to do in the mornings. Thank God for dive boats, otherwise I'd have been bored to tears.

I did get out to the back wall again, but Edgar was a no-show. I believe that tourist season was over so I'm pretty sure he was on annual leave (maybe he goes to Fiji). Maybe he found a diver that didn't have the lingering taste of neoprene and made better friends with him. Sharks are so fickle really. Where's the loyalty? The whole world's going to hell and I blame the education system (and the split-fin argument).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom