Dove the Sheridan to Blackthorn Wreck Trek again yesterday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hit the the Sheridan Tug and swam to the USCG Blackthorn this afternoon (Fri.)

Should have been spearing, saw lots of big mangrove snappers, gags 8 to 15 lbs, a big snouted hogfish and a true black over 25 lbs!

Visibility was a clear 30'. Next time I'll take my camera underwater, but was too busy this time.

The first pic is of one of the 30 something chipped pavers that now mark the path, every 20 feet approximately, from the bow of the Sheridan to the center of the Blackthorn.

Only problem is, couldn't see them against the natural limestone bottom. Made the crossing twice adding more, but it's going to take something with more profile. Tried pounding rebar stakes into the bottom some years ago, but it's too hard.

Second pic is the Marker now on the Pinellas 2 Reef.

The USCG Blackthorn is coming up on it's 30th anniversary of the collision with a freighter just outside the Skyway Bridge. See third pic from a St Pete Times article. The wreck has changed a lot over the nearly 30 years... it's much fishier now!

An illustration of the wrecks layout can be viewed here: http://www.floridaskindiver.com/WWC Pin 2 illustration.htm

Chad

Attachments

• P6190014 cr lw.JPG
    P6190014 cr lw.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 118
  • P6190018 cr lw.JPG
    P6190018 cr lw.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 122
  • wor-blackthorn.jpg
    wor-blackthorn.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Chad have you considered rope as a guideline? I know it could be a little pricey but it would be easy to spot and follow.
Nice pics of the wreck topside!

Chad have you considered rope as a guideline? I know it could be a little pricey but it would be easy to spot and follow.
Nice pics of the wreck topside!

SB,

Thanks for the thought, but these wrecks have no moorings (see buoy warning) so anchors would foul and rip out a rope in no time.

A wreck trek in Miami used rebar stakes but obviously didn't have the rock bottom that is present on this site.

You don't need markers for the Sheridan to Blackthorn crossing, because you'll broadside the older wreck now stretched out about 250'. It's the return to the Sheridan that's much tougher. I just barely missed it again Friday and had to surface to find the buoy and descend again. It would be dicey for divers with a lot of boat traffic.

AUE Mike and a couple other divers made the crossing with me some years back and after reaching the Blackthorn we got separated because of poor visibility. They had to ascend on Mike's SMB on the Blackthorn, with some boats around.

After unsuccessfully looking for my pavers and noticing what I could see, I have come up with another idea.

Chad

Last edited:
It is hard to believe it has been almost 30 years. I was in 5th grade at Bauder Elementary School in Pinellas County when it happened

Sean

SB97,

I've got to do some checking first, and will probably make a trial run before commiting to an offshore run.

Deploying anything underwater has proven to be extremely challenging and so often everything has gone wrong. The pavers were in buckets with a 100 lbs lift bag. It worked but was real slow. Driving the boat is quite challenging too.

Sean, you're making me feel old! I was managing a dive shop by 1980, which is why I didn't get to dive the Blackthorn the day they sunk it on Pin Cty 2. The shop owner went out with Bob Hite and his film crew from Channel 8 News that day in the summer of 1981. It was a big secret.

Chad

Chad, Have you been trying to do this by yourself or with your boat and someone else assisting... I have a Boat on the water in Ozona and would Be more than willing to get involved in assisting you if needed. I have never tried to swim all 3 on one dive don't think I have the sac for it even with a 120 as I am always chasing fish. But would like to know where I was going if I decided to do it.

Just a thought. I don't know who or what you have for Help in your trial blazing adventure you are on so if I can help in anyway hit me up. I am in the process of starting a new business so I can only go out Mon-Weds atm and only need one days notice and +0.35 at st. joseph sound to get the boat on or off the lift.

Sean, you're making me feel old! I was managing a dive shop by 1980, which is why I didn't get to dive the Blackthorn the day they sunk it on Pin Cty 2. The shop owner went out with Bob Hite and his film crew from Channel 8 News that day in the summer of 1981. It was a big secret.

Chad

Damn! I thought I was old :D :rofl3:

Sean

Echoo,

I'll keep you in mind.

I've got a few buddies that have helped so far, but it's tough to get anyone on short notice when there's a good weather window and I' not teaching.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom