Doubling up lp121’s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Doubling up lp121’s

I would like to double up my lp121s snd would like some recommendations on brands of bands, wings and back plates. I do a lot of deep (max160) deco diving with deco bottles. Please let me know the best way to go. “I am not in gue shape.”

Scott:D

Can you carry 100lbs on your back?

Use Highland 3in bands.

Stainless plate cause they are light underwater.

If you Pump them up. You'll have 320cu/ft of gas. Hope you need it. Otherwise. Use them for singles. Like I do...

And, if you're not in GUE shape. Why would you need this kind of gas? You need to be in shape to dive this deep. This long. To lazy to work out. Then don't need to do the extreme dives that need fitness.... And, I mean no offense. Just that, it's a lot of gas if you're not in shape.

Lots of gas. Do you really need it? It's also extremely heavy..

LP 120's are way too heavy to double up in my opinion. I don't know what you mean by GUE shape. That does not mean anything to me. You will need to be in excellent shape to climb out of the water in pitching seas with this rig.

I used a LP 120 with an H-valve a few times and I thought it was a waste of weight.

--Matt

All I have to tell you is I did that once with a set of Faber 121's and OMS manifold and 8in rings. Not Fun!. Not only you are lugging a set of 121 you also need to cary your deco gas (maybe travel?). Also make shure you have redundant bladder in you BC. If you BC fails you will never get out of the water! That experience made me get CCR certified. Unless you are Hulk, I (IMHO) do not recomend such painfull experience!

Happy Diving!
T

webediving:
All I have to tell you is I did that once with a set of Faber 121's and OMS manifold and 8in rings. Not Fun!. Not only you are lugging a set of 121 you also need to cary your deco gas (maybe travel?). Also make shure you have redundant bladder in you BC. If you BC fails you will never get out of the water! That experience made me get CCR certified. Unless you are Hulk, I (IMHO) do not recomend such painfull experience!

Happy Diving!
T

Ain't that the truth....

Herniated disk that went between a nerve and backbone. Is why I went CCR for anything deep..... Surgery is gonna suck...

I have LP121's and LP108's. Have a hard time selling them. Because once underwater. They were great. But, Man are they heavy compared to the Meg..... And the Meg has 4hrs of gas..... At any depth.... Unless you flood....LOL

Mverick:
Can you carry 100lbs on your back?

And, if you're not in GUE shape. Why would you need this kind of gas? You need to be in shape to dive this deep. This long. To lazy to work out. Then don't need to do the extreme dives that need fitness.... And, I mean no offense. Just that, it's a lot of gas if you're not in shape.

I used the wrong choice of words saying Gue. What I mean that I an not a body builder. I am in descent shape. I wanted to double these up to use one set of doubles for two dives.

I'm using lp108s, with OMS bands, and that is all i can take. I would not even think about 121s. Hell just typing it makes me tired.

ICUROK:
Doubling up lp121’s

I would like to double up my lp121s snd would like some recommendations on brands of bands, wings and back plates. I Scott:D

Just to get back to the main topic.

Scott

There isn't much left to say.

They are huge thanks, don't hurt your self.

Any plate and wing with around 50# lift will do. Up to you if you want to have DIR or not.

You are going to need 8inch bands. I am partial to the OMS bands, they cost less than the Highland and I have never seen any have trouble with them. As far as a plate go with an SS plate in the 5-6 lb range. Dive-rite, OMS, Hammerhead, and many other companies make them and they are all about the same. As far as a wing... You do not need or want a HUGE wing. Figure out how much lift you need based on the weight of your tanks filled (including stages and deco) and then just buy a wing that will fill your needs. There is a nice list of wings and lift that dive rite offers here. As far as double bladders. I don't like them. That is just more task loading and now you have a second inflator hose to worry about if things hit the fan.

For what it is worth, I have to agree that I think that tanks that big are just a royal pain. I hate moving them around on dry land, I could not imagine trying to dive them. I would rather just change out tanks than carry that much on my back. Now if you need that much gas on your back for the dives you are doing then do it. Just make sure you can move them around without any problems before getting on a boat in pitching seas.

Good luck and best wishes,
Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom