Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Wouldn't it likely contain whatever gas you used last dive? I usually check things like valves open and isolator position befoe the dive so it's never been an issue

Do you always remember what your tanks analyzed to last dive? Even after you get back from vacation and haven't dove your doubles in awhile? And if the gas mixes are dissimilar can you figure out how the 30/30 on one side and the 10/60 on the other will analyze out after you open the isolator?

Its easy for me now, I don't go below 120 fsw and tend to dive 30/30 or EAN32 all the time now, but in the future it'd be a bad habit for me to think i can just open my isolator and continue the dive...

lamont:
...And if the gas mixes are dissimilar can you figure out how the 30/30 on one side and the 10/60 on the other will analyze out after you open the isolator?...

How often do people actually use different mixes in each tank of their doubles? That seems to me that it defeats the purpose of having them.

nazgul810:
How often do people actually use different mixes in each tank of their doubles? That seems to me that it defeats the purpose of having them.
Its very handy. Allows you get rid of a tank. Use tri-mix on the left side and 100% O2 on the other, and you wouldn't need to take a deco bottle.

nazgul810:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to put different gasses in each tank of a set of doubles. Not only would such a technique defeat the purpose of ahving doubles (redundency) but it introduces the very real possibility of accidentally changing the mix one is breaathing by accidentally opening the isolation valve. Someone who would do this would race a train across the tracks. Darwin will have his day.

Diver0001:
It's an assumption based on years of listening to people talk about their motivations.

But ok, I could be wrong. feel free to start a poll about it. The outcome may be interesting.

Maybe try these options on the poll:

1) I need it for extra gas
2) I want it for redundancy/safety
3) I want to look cool
4) I want people to take me seriously

And anything else you can think of. These will probably suffice to cover 80%.

If you want to start a betting pool I'd bet 75% will answer #2

R..

My interest was not to start a poll, but clarify a statement as being an assumption. Thank you for doing so.

Randy43068:
I would ask for A double. Not a set of doubles. Not doubleS But a double shot.

So, I ask you. What is a "set" of doubles?

Your having pretty much of boring day today aren't you?

Actually no. I'm serious. Why are they called a "set" of doubles? They are a set of singles put together to make a double.

I know it'a anal of me, but calling them a "set of doubles" makes no sense whatsoever.

well yeah, I'm a little bored. But the question stands. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom