Doubles wing recommendations please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I want to learn doubles, and I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable wing.

I'll typically be diving double AL80s in cold (to me) winter SoCal sea water, likely with either a 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit, and for reference I'm 6ft and 180lbs (although if this quarantine continues for much longer that last number will be likely be skyrocketing).

I was thinking that a donut would be the way forward, and is 60lbs too much lift? or would 45 be more appropriate?

The Dive Rite Classic XT is on the radar, but if there's a more appropriate (and cheaper) wing I'd appreciate being pointed that direction.

TIA

60 pound wing sounds like a lot to me. The wing needs to be large enough to compensate for 1) the gas consumed during the dive, 2) the compression of your gear -- mostly the wetsuit. AL80s hold 6 lbs each of gas, so that's 12 pounds in the worst case. How much lead does it take to sink your wetsuit? If it's over 30 lbs or so then yeah the 60 lb wing starts to makes sense to me, but otherwise I would expect the 45 pounder to be sufficient.

Disclaimer: I do not dive doubles and am not an instructor.

There is a fantastic lift calculator available here that'll help you determine what you need for your situation.

I took a look at that thread, the first links were dead then there was13 pages culminating in a people asking for the link to the spreadsheet without any apparent replies :(

diving with double AL80s won't require anything more than a 45lb wing. Diving wet the challenge is redundancy, what is your alternate method of buoyancy control. There are 3 options, listed in order of increasing cost, 1. diving with a 45lb lift bag that you would inflate and use in the event of BCD failure; 2. using a 45 lb wing with two bladders, 3. going to a drysuit, which can be used as an emergency source of buoyancy. If you allready have a drysuit the decision is moot. All three are viable options, most on SB would steer you away from using lift bags and double bladder wings and towards drysuits.

If you have patience you can find all used for considerable discounts. I was able to find a scubapro neoprene drysuit for $300.

lift bag:
OMS Lift Bag { 50 lb | 23 kg } | Dive Gear Express®

dual wing options:
Hollis SMS100 Dual Wing Only
Dive Rite Rec XT Wing Dual Bladder
Doubles Donut Wing

60 pound wing sounds like a lot to me. The wing needs to be large enough to compensate for 1) the gas consumed during the dive, 2) the compression of your gear -- mostly the wetsuit. AL80s hold 6 lbs each of gas, so that's 12 pounds in the worst case. How much lead does it take to sink your wetsuit? If it's over 30 lbs or so then yeah the 60 lb wing starts to makes sense to me, but otherwise I would expect the 45 pounder to be sufficient.

Disclaimer: I do not dive doubles and am not an instructor.

wet suit needs around 18lbs with sidemounted doubles AL80s, but the drysuit with thermals is over 30 (have to check my log but think it's around 34/36) with a single backmounted AL80

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom