Doubles Tanks Must Have Same Height???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
If I saw someone with callipers testing tanks for compatibility for doubling up, I would raise my eyebrow and turn around and head out of the store. I would then tell my friends, avoid the store, some serious monkey business is going on.
Well Lee at Seapearls is the wholeseller who is measuring tanks before shipping them to the LDS. But I get your point.

JeffG:
The guy that does that is probably the same guy trying to get you to O2 clean your BCD for use with nitrox.
You mean I didn't have to pour that Simple Green into my wing? :wink:

Again I'm not saying that you have to match tanks. Neither of my sets of steel doubles are matched. I just wouldn't call someone an idiot because he followed the recommendations of his cylinder supplier.

xiSkiGuy:
I just wouldn't call someone an idiot because he followed the recommendations of his cylinder supplier.
Its not that fact that makes him an idiot. (If we believe the OP) Its because the employee is making recommendations on things he really knows nothing about.

This is not something unique to Scuba stores...have you ever done Stereo shopping in discount electronic stores? Same problem. One is a dive shop monkey, the other a stereo monkey :wink:

We make fun of people learning how to dive on the internet, but the same can be said for people that sell/support the gear.

Most stores have at least one guy that has a clue, but there are always a ton of others that try to "Talk the talk", but quite frankly have no clue. These are the guys that end up selling some POS to you when you are a newbie.

Maybe idiot is the wrong term, but these guys truly piss me off.

JeffG:
No Jeff, Idiot is the appropriate term here:

[Middle English] ignorant person
[Modern English] an utterly foolish or senseless person

There are more meanings to the word related to psychology classifications, but they are no longer used, and are deemed offensive nowadays.

But idiot makes sense, that he ignorant about what he is talking about, and has no obvious sense to update his knowledge. Hence his ignorance.

:D

So~~~~

What is your tolerated or marginal difference on the heights?

0.118", 0.125 (1/8)", or 0.25 (1/4)"

There are many 0/25" tanks out there. I still have two brand new ones. :(

JeffG:
Its not that fact that makes him an idiot. (If we believe the OP) Its because the employee is making recommendations on things he really knows nothing about.

This is not something unique to Scuba stores...have you ever done Stereo shopping in discount electronic stores? Same problem. One is a dive shop monkey, the other a stereo monkey :wink:

We make fun of people learning how to dive on the internet, but the same can be said for people that sell/support the gear.

Most stores have at least one guy that has a clue, but there are always a ton of others that try to "Talk the talk", but quite frankly have no clue. These are the guys that end up selling some POS to you when you are a newbie.

And you have the computer monkeys who try to sell you computer hardware that you dont want or need (or is below the specs you require)..
What truely make them useless is the fact that they can not provide the service and competence you require..

There are monkeys in any business.

If you pay peanuts, you get to keep monkeys...

tanks to double, their height exact
is not necessary, and that's a fact

H2Andy:
tanks to double, their height exact
is not necessary, and that's a fact

Andy's a poet and don't even know it.

PS- I thought the revolution would be TiVo'ed.

FD

JeffG:
If I saw someone with callipers testing tanks for compatibility for doubling up, I would raise my eyebrow and turn around and head out of the store. I would then tell my friends, avoid the store, some serious monkey business is going on.

The guy that does that is probably the same guy trying to get you to O2 clean your BCD for use with nitrox.

:huh: You guys are really harsh, now I'm an idiot!!! When we measure tanks we use an 36" set of calipers that are incremented in tenths of an inch (.100" or 2.5mm). We can comfortably say the tanks are within .050" inch of each other. If the end comsumer is concerned, we're concerned. We try to educate and meet our customers needs.

P.S. check out our new Nitrox snorkel with the green top!!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom