Doubles recommendation for an average size man (6')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got some original silicone valves by USD from the 1990s. They did make them for the mouthpiece, but not for the diaphragm. I heard that they made some duckbills of silicone, but never saw any. The USD catelog from 1973 says that they have "new, improved non-return valves" in the mouthpiece. So I'm sure that at one point USD had introduced silicone non-returns for the mouthpiece. I'm still using mine in my Trieste II.

SeaRat

I've had my Phoenix under the ice a few times equipt with silicone all around and it worked like a champ. The above ice conditions were much better then the artic of course. That makes a huge difference. Regs that will work at a relatively sheltered area like a quarry sometimes fail miserably on a boat dive. I've done New Years Day dives on Lake Michigan several times in open boats. The first time I went I had a free flow. It was a windy day about 20F. I was looking up at the wave tops. Water was a balmy 34 if I remember right. Quite a day!

I really do love my DA. But someday I really want a Royal since I hear they are the top of the line. It's just that work is really slow right now and I don't have that kind of coin to drop on another DH.
From what I hear double hose regs are naturally anti freezing just because of the nature of the design.

If you want a RAM then talk to Oldmossback and get his MK3 it will give you 4 LP & 1 HP plus it's a balanced 1st (Titan) and only 1/8" deeper that a original RAM. Dan at vintage scuba can build it for you. I have one and with a few tweaks it is great!

I really do love my DA. But someday I really want a Royal since I hear they are the top of the line. It's just that work is really slow right now and I don't have that kind of coin to drop on another DH.
From what I hear double hose regs are naturally anti freezing just because of the nature of the design.

The easiest solution to obtain a RAM is to just replace the first stage of an Aqua Master with a Phoenix RAM first stage. The replacement can be done by anyone since it is a direct replacement of only the first stage. After swapping the first stages all you need to do is check the IP and adjust it if necessary.

One of the design criteria’s of the Phoenix was to be an easy replacement of the first stage with minimal disruption of the vintage regulator. The Phoenix can be installed or removed by almost anyone and the regulator can be reverted to its original configuration in minutes.

The Phoenix has not only being bench tested and Lab tested (in Panama City), but it also has being dove and tested all over the world. It has many dives ranging from under the ice to deep cold and warm water dives. It has been used for recreational, technical, decompression dives and with most common breathing gases including Nitrox and tri-mix. It has also been used with both yoke and DIN fittings.

Phoenix Mod II (the one currently in production) has improved air flow passages that during bench test have shown less of an IP dip and a quicker IP recovery (even for heavy breathing cycles). Due to this increased performance, for the Phoenix Mod II regulators I end up using a lower IP that I traditionally used on a RAM.

Finally the designer of the phoenix nozzle does some modest horn-blowing for this innovative and extremely well thought out solution to diving double hose regs in a modern scuba world.

The easiest solution to obtain a RAM is to just replace the first stage of an Aqua Master with a Phoenix RAM first stage. The replacement can be done by anyone since it is a direct replacement of only the first stage. After swapping the first stages all you need to do is check the IP and adjust it if necessary.

One of the design criteria’s of the Phoenix was to be an easy replacement of the first stage with minimal disruption of the vintage regulator. The Phoenix can be installed or removed by almost anyone and the regulator can be reverted to its original configuration in minutes.

The Phoenix has not only being bench tested and Lab tested (in Panama City), but it also has being dove and tested all over the world. It has many dives ranging from under the ice to deep cold and warm water dives. It has been used for recreational, technical, decompression dives and with most common breathing gases including Nitrox and tri-mix. It has also been used with both yoke and DIN fittings.

Phoenix Mod II (the one currently in production) has improved air flow passages that during bench test have shown less of an IP dip and a quicker IP recovery (even for heavy breathing cycles). Due to this increased performance, for the Phoenix Mod II regulators I end up using a lower IP that I traditionally used on a RAM.
I'm going to have to get this.

So I have actually got the RAM from Bryan @ vintagedoublehose (thanks Bryan for the reg it looks awesome) and planning to test it today.

The question I have now to you guys is as follows.

As I understood correctly for the best performance I should have the regulator in between my blades. So the longer tanks are out of question thus my double HP100 and my wife's double LP85s will not work. I"m not even talking about AL80 :)

I have an OMS 66 which looks to be perfect for the job.

Now, I want to make a double tank so I can get a decent nitrox dive on the reg. and I think I can get a second OMS 66 and pair them together.

What do you think about this scenario ? Or can you recommend me any option as well ?

I have a mid size frame 190lb at 6'. My wife will most likely dive the rig as well she is 5'8 so I should also look for a compromise :)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know about double 38 but I think she will be against them :)
Elan,

I know this thread has been around a while, but I thought I'd throw in a suggestion about the original topic--the best doubles. When I was in the USAF, we has what we called "jump tanks" because we used them for our parascuba jumps (1960s through the 1970s). We used to actually trade them with the US Navy because they were stuck with the really heavy twin 90s, and sometimes wanted a lighter set. Well, these were converted 44 cubic foot 20-man life raft bottles. They made the nicest set of twins that I have ever had.
SamobaggingfishinOkanawa.jpg

Photo by John C. Ratliff, 1968
Here one of my fellow pararescuemen is bagging a fish he had just speared off Okinawa. He is using the twin 44s, with the manifold guard we used for our jumping.

I've been wearing twin 40 cubic foot tanks (1800 psi, 6.72 inch diameter--same as the twin 72s and just about as heavy) for years now. I also have some twin 50s (AL 3000 psi, but stubby and not so hydrodynamic). But I really liked the twin steel 44s that we had.

I'm now about ready to get a set of twin 40 AL 3000 psi tanks, which are about the same configuration as the jump tanks (length, weight, etc.). I think these would be really nice for both you and your wife. You would need to get a custom made set of bands, though.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Little update - I have decided to go with LP72 and recently acquired 2 galvanized tanks in fairly good conditions (one circa 67 and the other 75) and will be pairing them up.
I got the second OMS 66 but my wife fell in love with them and using them for single tank diving. She told me that I would be sleeping in the dog house if I pair them up :)

Little update - I have decided to go with LP72 and recently acquired 2 galvanized tanks in fairly good conditions (one circa 67 and the other 75) and will be pairing them up.
I got the second OMS 66 but my wife fell in love with them and using them for single tank diving. She told me that I would be sleeping in the dog house if I pair them up :)

I think you will love the seventy two's.
They make a sweet little pair of doubles.

What are you doing for bands and manifold? I have a whole set up of OMS stuff if you want it.
No reasonable offer refused.

I think you will love the seventy two's.
They make a sweet little pair of doubles.

What are you doing for bands and manifold? I have a whole set up of OMS stuff if you want it.
No reasonable offer refused.

Yeah they look awesome, I still wonder why they do not make them now. AL80 does not make any sense for the back gas after diving these :) My friends recently got 2 USD LP72 and refuses to pair them up as he loves them as singles instead of AL80 :).

Matt has offered me a USD manifold with central outlet. We are in the middle of transaction now. Meanwhile until I get the correct bands I will just put a regular Thermo manifold and 7.25 bands and will dive them in HOG config with long hose. I use my wife's OMS 66 with my RAM now, which works great for a 40-50 min dive in 30ft range.

Back
Top Bottom