Doubles on Oceanic Hera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubi Do

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now that I am starting to tinker with deeper dives the thought of doubles has come to mind to keep up with the male counterparts. At the same time I have a yearning to replace my non female friendly BC and was contemplating the HERA from Oceanic.

The twin concept is still a little way off but if I am buying a new BC, logic would have it that what I get now may take me into future needs. So the question, can the Hera be set up to support doubles or am I destined to have to move to a solution such as the Hollis HTS and just tollerate those chest straps that do not seem to cater for the female anatomy??:wink:

Cheers

The HERA will not handle doubles. Get a BPW system. The Hollis Solo harness set up would be the preferred system. The switchback would work if you have smaller shoulders. Otherwise either the Elite or Elite 2. Just remove the sternum strap. It is not needed. Have you tried a BPW setup yet? You may find it that it caters to the female anatomy very well. By not having all that extra padding and material and a steel plate over your lungs and other " extra buoyancy areas" you may find it trims well also. BPW setups with Hogarthian harnesses also tend to be very budget friendly. And if any thing ever wears out you replace 15 dollars worth of webbing, not the entire BC.

I have a Hera that I use for recreational diving (singles) & love it! Padding in all the right places for us ladies:D. I would question whether the Hera has enough lift for doubles. I would say it depends on what type of cylinders you plan to use. I don't know. If I remember correctly, it only has 19- 40 lbs (XS- Lg) of lift depending on size. For my doubles (LP 85's & 95's), I use just a simple back plate, harness with a breast strap & wings with adequate lift for the cylinders I use. The backplate & harness really are not all that bad, comfort- wise. The chest strap isn't in too bad an area either. You can customize the size just for you, it's really not a big deal to put everything where you want it. Without major modifications & the question of lift, I really don't see where the Hera would be very good for that. That's just my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom