Double: Worthington X7-100 vs PST LP80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As title suggest,

Double PST LP80 (none +) vs X7-100
length: 24.5" vs 23.5"
diameter: both 7.25"
empty: -1 vs -2

PST: currently own. slightly longer, feels better trim, maybe all in my head. But only 1 shop around me is willing to fill it to 3000 consistently. Other shops, some time mistaken it as x7-100 and give me 3500 but usually just fill it to 2400.

X7-100: more gas officially, found good deal on a set. slightly shorter and heavier, may cause more head heavy. I guess a tail weight can help.

should I make the switch?

I know with say a LP108 you have to get 2640 PSI to get the full 108 cu.ft. Do you need 2640 PSI to get the full 80 cu.ft.? If that is the case then 2400 is only getting you 72 cu.ft.. If a shop is willing to fill you to 3000 PSI you are getting 90 cu.ft. with occasionally shops giving you 3500 PSI or 106 cu.ft.

Do you need the extra air? Would it be nice to have the extra reserve?

If you are coming back with say 500 PSI in the LP80 then you are really only using ~57 cu.ft. switching to the HP100 means you'd come back with ~43 cu.ft. On the other hand, if you are coming back with 100 PSI in the LP80 then you are using ~69 cu.ft. and cutting it kind of close. If your gauges are off in the wrong direction you could be dangerously close to running out of air. Having the extra air of the HP100 would be nice.

Or are you cutting your dive short because you run out of air before you reach NDL? In that case the HP100 guarantees you get a longer dive. Even when you are consistently getting 3000 PSI in the LP80, if you are getting 3442 in the HP100 you'll be getting 10% more air.

So it really boils down to how much air you have left, will it extend your dive time and are you okay with re-working your trim?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom