Double tanks to fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not to start another double tank thread as to wear it or not!! I was wondering what most of you who dive double tanks carry it to the fill station? You wear it to the store from the car? Dolly? Tip the fill guy to do it?

I doubled up my LP85 Worthingtons and made a dive. No issue in water but out of water it weighs close to 95lbs.

Thanks.

I carry mine the 6' from the car to my garage, hook up the fill whip, and...

OK, OK, out of town, I carry them by the valves from the car to the fill station most of the time. If I think it will be a hike I bring a collapsible hand truck that carries one set at a time.

I park as close to the door as possible and grab hold of the valves one on each hand and cart it in to the shop. Always gives me a chuckle when a helpful employee says here let me get that and then about busts a gut trying to pick up my double hp120's lol. I'm a big guy and have no problem moving them around now however the more I do it to more I feel a folding cart is in my future and I might even see if there is a way to bolt it in right to my plate so it's just a matter of wheel it to the dive site and put it on.

I carry it.

Sometimes I go to one shop that has a whip which reaches all the way to the car.

I have a super long whip if I can use it. I will also carry them with the backplate if there is a spot I can set them down to shed them. This is ideal if I'm diving day after day so I leave wing/regs on.
If not, I'll take everything off, rotate them 90 ish*, put one arm in the middle of the two tank bottoms and the other holding the manifold and walk

I dive independent doubles and take the bands off every single time I fill.

Carrying a single tank is easy enough - I happen to fill my own tanks with air and the rule is they must fit in the cascade unit - which of course does not handle doubles. I have two sets of doubles right now... :)

LDS has a horizontal hand cart stationed near the rear door. quarry has pull carts. failing both of those, keep a collapsible hand cart in the adventure van. in a pinch over rough ground they'll stay on the plate and get hauled in on my back.

Either walk them on my back or my buddy helps me carry them by the valves (we each hold one).

Back
Top Bottom