double tank equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swear I should have walked away from this thread after the second post where you said, you need one spg for manifold doubles and two for sidemount or independent doubles.

Absolutely nothing has been accomplished since then.

I disagree. We have succeeded in exposing, in detail, a member who IMO should never be relied upon for sound advice. One whose ego demands he defend his position over safety. This has value to the community.

Tobin

We have succeeded in exposing, in detail, a member who IMO should never be relied upon for sound advice. One whose ego demands he defend his position over safety.
Interesting, I haven't noticed that. Would you mind pointing the finger, preferably with exact quotes to what is unsound advice? That would be most helpful to the novices on the board.

Interesting, I haven't noticed that. Would you mind pointing the finger, preferably with exact quotes to what is unsound advice? That would be most helpful to the novices on the board.

As a public service I'd suggest researching the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Tobin

As a public service I'd suggest researching the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Tobin

Exactly. "Highly skilled individuals underestimate their relative skill level and assume that what is easy for them is similarly easy for others. Unskilled individuals tend to rate their skills higher than they actually are, and to underestimate the skills of others"

The unskilled group will obviously prescribe unnecessary formal training for some of the simplest functions, while the highly skilled might assume anyone certified to do something can figure things out on their own.

Exactly. "Highly skilled individuals underestimate their relative skill level and assume that what is easy for them is similarly easy for others. Unskilled individuals tend to rate their skills higher than they actually are, and to underestimate the skills of others"

The unskilled group will obviously prescribe unnecessary formal training for some of the simplest functions, while the highly skilled might assume anyone certified to do something can figure things out on their own.

Uh, well nice try. The quote is spot on. Your following conclusion not so much.

The core of the Dunning-Kruger effect is the incompetent being unaware of their incompetence.

Can you direct me to any notation about the incompetent prescribing training to anyone?

Tobin

Does somebody switching from diving tables to a computer need training in your opinion? All considering diving within the original certification level .

Does somebody switching from diving tables to a computer need training in your opinion? All considering diving within the original certification level .

Is that a topic for another thread?

Also, its kind of a backwards analogy, no? Diving a computer is supposedly simpler than diving tables. So it seems the questions should be, if you were trained to dive a computer and you want to switch to cutting and then diving your own tables, would you benefit from instruction from a competent resource?

Uh, well nice try. The quote is spot on. Your following conclusion not so much.

The core of the Dunning-Kruger effect is the incompetent being unaware of their incompetence.

Can you direct me to any notation about the incompetent prescribing training to anyone?

Tobin

It is implicit in the underestimation of the skills of other people characteristic of the incompetent.. Do you think that any skilled individual with an understanding of basic equipment functioning would recommend formal training in order to teach someone that both tank valves need to be open when filling doubles with a isolation manifold? The Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that they would not. Dunning- Kruger obviously predicts that a skilled individual would assume other people should also understand that you cannot fill (or empty) something when its valve is closed.

This is so basic that the notion of not understanding is comical-- except to an unskilled individual who assumes that everyone is as limited as they are. If you think about it, it's a variant of sociopathology.

Back in the days (sorry) of J Valves it did take a few minutes of explanation make it clear that the J valve actuator needed to be in the full open down position when the tank was being filled. This is much more understandable, since the operation mechanism of the inner spring assist safety reserve is not obvious.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2015 at 04:30 PM ----------

Is that a topic for another thread?

Also, its kind of a backwards analogy, no? Diving a computer is supposedly simpler than diving tables. So it seems the questions should be, if you were trained to dive a computer and you want to switch to cutting and then diving your own tables, would you benefit from instruction from a competent resource?

I expected that you would surely believe that some training would be needed regarding interpretation of the graphs and symbols, how to use the computer, replace batteries, etc.

Do you think that any skilled individual with an understanding of basic equipment functioning would recommend formal training in order to teach someone that both tank valves need to be open when filling doubles with a isolation manifold? The Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that they would not. Dunning- Kruger obviously predicts that a skilled individual would assume other people should also understand that you cannot fill (or empty) something when its valve is closed.

This is so basic that the notion of not understanding is comical-- except to an unskilled individual who assumes that everyone is as limited as they are. If you think about it, it's a variant of sociopathology.

Both tank valves need to be open when you fill manifolded doubles?

There is plenty of comedy in this thread, that is for sure.

It is implicit in the underestimation of the skills of other people characteristic of the incompetent.. Do you think that any skilled individual with an understanding of basic equipment functioning would recommend formal training in order to teach someone that both tank valves need to be open when filling doubles with a isolation manifold? The Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that they would not. Dunning- Kruger obviously predicts that a skilled individual would assume other people should also understand that you cannot fill (or empty) something when its valve is closed.

Back in the days (sorry) of J Valves it did take a few minutes of explanation make it clear that the J valve actuator needed to be in the full open down position when the tank was being filled. This is much more understandable, since the operation mechanism of the inner spring assist safety reserve is not obvious.

I expected that you would surely believe that some training would be needed regarding interpretation of the graphs and symbols, how to use the computer, replace batteries, etc.

Let's keep this simple. I asked you to provide a *single* notation in the literature to support your conclusions regarding Dunning-Kruger.

Not 4 paragraphs of nonsense, just a single citation.

Still waiting.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom