double tank equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A lot of off-topic juvenile quarreling has been removed from this thread.

The next time it happens the members doing it will be also.

Consider yourselves warned....

Who here suggested that formal training is the only safe way?

Why do you keep repeating this canard?

Tobin

Not in so many words; however in post 7 you ask Storker Why do you encourage irresponsible behavior?

You still haven't shown me where I said "get out your wallet and buy a doubles course"

I elected to use the words "competent training" carefully, in part to avoid the implication that one needs to take a paid course and buy another C card.

Yet you persist in claiming I did.

Do you find it odd that a professional would take exception to the implication that we are motivated only by greed?

Tobin

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A lot of off-topic juvenile quarreling has been removed from this thread.

The next time it happens the members doing it will be also.

Consider yourselves warned....

It's about time. It was really getting on my nerves. Thank you.

It's about time. It was really getting on my nerves.

I tell my kids all the time - it takes two to fight but it only one to say sorry or stop fighting. No one likes fighting by themselves... :D

You still haven't shown me where I said "get out your wallet and buy a doubles course"
And you're ignoring that you went right for the throat and declared a simple piece of information about current practice in parts of the world you don't know about to be "encourage[ing] irresponsible behavior". That point has been raised several times, and you persist in overhearing any arguments that that was way over the top. So you're throwing huge rocks in a glass house.

Like I've said earlier, there are different attitudes as to what the purpose of a discussion is. I've got a decently clear picture of which camp you belong to.

Why don't you step away from the keyboard, grab a beer, get laid (or, if you're single and can't score at the moment, find an alternative)? It'll do you good. Most people mellow out a bit that way.

I elected to use the words "competent training" carefully, in part to avoid the implication that one needs to take a paid course and buy another C card.

Yet you persist in claiming I did.

Do you find it odd that a professional would take exception to the implication that we are motivated only by greed?

Tobin

Oh I see your one of those that can't be reasoned with, that's ok it takes all kinds. Safe diving!

And you're ignoring that you went right for the throat and declared a simple piece of information about current practice in parts of the world you don't know about to be "encourage[ing] irresponsible behavior".

It may not be irresponsible in your corner of the world where apparently doubles are as common as cornflakes.

Are you now claiming to know:

1) The level of competence of LDS employees worldwide?

2) The nature of training worldwide?

3) The presence or absence of competent dive clubs worldwide?

I stand by statement encouraging people en mass to dive doubles without seeking competent training is irresponsible.

I have the opportunity to speak with mostly newer divers on a routine basis. Many 1000's over the last 10+ years.

It's a rare month that fails to include at least one genuinely frightening conversation with a new diver who is in serious need of competent training.

Tobin

Are you now claiming do know:

1) The level of competence of LDS employees worldwide?
Of course not. TRY to work on your reading comprehension, will you? Start on page one of the thread.

2) The nature of training worldwide?
Of course not. TRY to work on your reading comprehension, will you? Start on page one of the thread.

3) The presense or absence of competent dive clubs worldwide?

TRY to work on your reading comprehension, will you? Start on page one of the thread.

This is getting out of hand. Maybe it is because I read pages 1-3 then 12-15 to see where the thread went. After reading the remaining pages, I have found Tobin to be generally well mannered, logical, and consistent in his posts. The information he provides is always top notch and very clearly communicated. I don't see the anger or blowhardedness* that some people are apparently sensing in his posts.

Tobin has been clear that there are all kinds of training and that he never said one should go do a doubles course. I am a diver just starting on his tech career and I found the original question to have a strong hint of someone who "just didin't know". I am not saying that as a negative or to demean them, but reading any number of tech threads on this site in conjunction with a google search on "DIR equipment or tech set up" would have provided loads of material on the proper reg set up and basic equipment. For those that argue this is the place to ask such questions, I agree, but I am also one to do as much research as
i can before I ask the questions.

Agilis clearly has a lot of diving experience, but he doesn't have much technical experience. Rather than admit his was wrong about the operation of a manifold (very first topic covered in TDI intro to tech manual btw) he chose to argue semantics and all about how experienced divers should easily be able to figure it out. I actually started yelling at the screen because HE is the prime example of an experienced diver that should have been able to figure it out, but was completely asshat wrong. Intelligence, willingness to learn, and experience are great, but there are loads of things you need to be thoroughly taught in order to know.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom